starter bolt length

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Uh.. any chance you could post a picture of your starter? 4-5/16" bolts and "large" starter don't match.

Richard

spitfirespl

Reaction score
my bad I just realized that the large starter needs 4-5/8th not 5/16th.

I'll try to snap a pic this evening.

spitfirespl

Reaction score
snapped quick pic of the starter. pretty sure its the larger one.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not 100% sure but that looks like the "mid size" which yeah, is basically the large starter. I haven't messed with too many of them but they're the big starters that came on the later trucks, it's not quite as big as the old school large starters, but still pretty damn big and heavy. Also pretty sure it takes the same 4-5/8" bolts the large starter does, but again, I haven't messed with too many of those.

Richard

spitfirespl

Reaction score
Not 100% sure but that looks like the "mid size" which yeah, is basically the large starter. I haven't messed with too many of them but they're the big starters that came on the later trucks, it's not quite as big as the old school large starters, but still pretty damn big and heavy. Also pretty sure it takes the same 4-5/8" bolts the large starter does, but again, I haven't messed with too many of those.

Richard

so i got the factory bolt in and its going in tight now........ not sure why but its holding it in place, so now im just trying to extract the broken bolt out so i can get the new one in.

sdenney428

Reaction score
A related question… I bought an after market starter that was much bigger in size… I literally have every shim in the kit on it before linkage occurred. Do I need longer bolts? One of my bolts fell out and left me stranded recently. Would bolts too short be the cause of them wiggling out?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A related question… I bought an after market starter that was much bigger in size… I literally have every shim in the kit on it before linkage occurred. Do I need longer bolts? One of my bolts fell out and left me stranded recently. Would bolts too short be the cause of them wiggling out?
Depends on how much thread was available past the stack of shims. I'd be more inclined to think the stack of shims let the starter walk around and worked the bolts loose. Why did it require so many, and how many is "every shim in the kit" ? I think I'd be looking at a different starter.

Richard

sdenney428

Reaction score
Depends on how much thread was available past the stack of shims. I'd be more inclined to think the stack of shims let the starter walk around and worked the bolts loose. Why did it require so many, and how many is "every shim in the kit" ? I think I'd be looking at a different starter.

Richard
Figured as much. I’d say you’re 100% correct. I’m not really sure why it took so many. Gonna re-evaluate the situation asap. Thanks for you time in responding.