Spare tire let down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MNorton

Reaction score
The new to me 1996 GMC C1500 has a spare tire , I can see it from the rear. However the truck did not come with a jack or lug wrench tools. I have a Jack I can use but wondering how to get the tire to come down. I see the tube and tried to get a 3/8 rachet extension to go in but the little knuckles are too big.
What size is the fitting I am trying to reach? When I look at parts manual it looks like a 3/8 male end sticking out. What do I use to go in the tube to release the tire ? I know turning it counterclockwise is supposed to let it down. Do I just need to buy replacement jack tools that has what looks like an extension that fits the hole or is there something else I could use?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been a long time since I used mine, but I do remember some kind of funky end that went to the "hoist".
If nobody gives you an answer by the weekend, I can take a picture of mine Saturday.
Probably best to get replacement ones if they make them, or start searching yards.
Or maybe someone here has a set they aren't using anymore and are willing to send you.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
All you need is the lug nut tool and the ratchet out of the tool tray behind the passenger seat. On end of the lug nut tool has a socket to fit the lug nuts and the other end has a straight blade like a large screwdriver. The screwdriver end is how you pop the center caps off AND how you lower the spare tire.
Stick the screwdriver end of the lug nut tool through the hole in the rear bumper after you put the ratchet onto the lug nut tool. It has to engage the winch drive that rases and lowers the spare.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All you need is the lug nut tool and the ratchet out of the tool tray behind the passenger seat. On end of the lug nut tool has a socket to fit the lug nuts and the other end has a straight blade like a large screwdriver. The screwdriver end is how you pop the center caps off AND how you lower the spare tire.
Stick the screwdriver end of the lug nut tool through the hole in the rear bumper after you put the ratchet onto the lug nut tool. It has to engage the winch drive that rases and lowers the spare.
That's right! The big ass flat blade end. Lol
Knew it wasn't normal.

11bravo

Reaction score
If you cannot find the tool, or a very long screwdriver to run down the tube to the connection, use your scissor jack to raise up the tire enough to get slack in the chain holding it. Then finagle the little star-shaped holder that fits through the center of the rim so the tire is loose from that holder. Lower the tire with the scissor jack. Then get yourself the proper tire tool so you will have it when you need it.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove the factory stuff from the truck.

Go to HF and get a half inch 7/8 or 22mm socket, half inch breaker bar and ratchet, and a jack. Grab a big-ass flat head screw driver to let the spare down. Keep it in a tool box in the bed if you’re able.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once lower it down , check the cable for wear and tear. If it's ok, clean it up a bit. Then before. raising it up. Coat it with grease to lube it, and keep the corrosion away. That way it will usable if ever and the cancer won't suddenly drop your spare on highway. Would be a bad thing.