Shock installation problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Installing new Bilstein front 4600 Monotube OEM Shocks 24-016971 11BIL36577365684 (with E4-WM5-Y217A00 BILSTEIN FRONT SHOCK MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS) and having a very difficult time following the directions. I need to know what "TYPE" I have for the shocks. Already reached out to Bilstein, but still a little confused. They emailed me a picture of a close up of how to install the grommet and retainer (unlabeled and not telling me what "type it is"). BUT looking at their printed instruction chart that came with the actual shocks (it refers me to the OE) - it could be the "type 2" or "type 37". When I removed the old ones, they were installed like "Type 2", but the previous owner installed quite a few things wrong.

So I wanted instructions directly from Chevy - the only install information I could find in the manual doesn't show a close enough picture of how the grommet and retainers should face. Is there any other place I could find how to correctly install these according to Chevy?

Attachments

• Original instructions with shocks.png
    Original instructions with shocks.png
    879 KB · Views: 9
  • emailed From Bilstein.png
    emailed From Bilstein.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Chevy Suspension Front shock insall 2WD.png
    Chevy Suspension Front shock insall 2WD.png
    828.4 KB · Views: 9
  • E4-WM5-Y217A00 BILSTEIN FRONT SHOCK MOUNTING INSTRUCTIONS.pdf
    454.5 KB · Views: 2

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a 2WD GMT400 to look at; never worked on one. I'm making guesses based on what I've seen on other GM/Domestic vehicles.

However, either I'm missing something--and I've been over those instructions twice--or they don't list the mounting I'd expect to see.

Type 2 is close, but both bushings would be the same, having the knob that goes against and fits into the metal of the shock mount. Same for 37--only one of the bushings has the "knob" that fits into the hole in the metal of the shock mount.

38 is pretty close, but the metal washers are upside-down. Should be cupped around the rubber bushings instead of cupped away from the rubber. At least both bushings have the knob instead of just one.

Photos of the parts you actually have? IN FOCUS, nicely cropped, please.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The type 2 drawing is the most common method. If the parts you have are those parts. The outer washers are installed as to form a clamshell to capture the bushings. The one bushing whether installed on bottom of top has a ring raised area fits into the flange the shock tube attached to.
Follow drawing type 2, trucks are simple beasts. Don't overthink it.