Security blinking No start ( anti theft issue ) Pass lock sensor issue ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, I foresee this being a constant problem going forward maybe …

so it seems like my pass lock system is acting up on this 99 suburban . I never had it happen until today .

This same scenario happened on my 01’ s10 vortec pickup . I would turn the ignition forward crank the vehicle. It would either potentially start and stop or just keep cranking as the security light blinked. Luckily a guy I know that does remote starts literally told me it’s your key 100%. Key and tumbler are worn . I put a new ignition Tumblr key set up in the S-10 and never had that problem again.

I just read how to get past this mess thankfully the truck started for me. I turned the key forward waited 10 minutes it was blinking then solid then “Off” .

I started it didn’t need to do that 4 times as the instructions stated I did it once and it made it home .

What’s normally the cause of this? What part do I need to look into like stated myself the fix for my S-10 was the ignition key and tumbler. This truck has no other incidental problems starting ever .
The security light blinks continuously is an isolated moment that seems to relate to something causing the anti theft to kick on when cranking when it didnt want to start.
This is one thing I do not want to continue to deal with if it’s going to be a problem so I’d rather alleviate it right away

I suppose I could just have vats deleted ‘ I have tune shop local that’s able to .. I had already had planned that and the secondary air injection pump delete from the pcm since that also is failed.

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpeg
    IMG_0351.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
OK, I foresee this being a constant problem going forward maybe …

so it seems like my pass lock system is acting up on this 99 suburban . I never had it happen until today .

This same scenario happened on my 01’ s10 vortec pickup . I would turn the ignition forward crank the vehicle. It would either potentially start and stop or just keep cranking as the security light blinked. Luckily a guy I know that does remote starts literally told me it’s your key 100%. Key and tumbler are worn . I put a new ignition Tumblr key set up in the S-10 and never had that problem again.

I just read how to get past this mess thankfully the truck started for me. I turned the key forward waited 10 minutes it was blinking then solid then “Off” .

I started it didn’t need to do that 4 times as the instructions stated I did it once and it made it home .

What’s normally the cause of this? What part do I need to look into like stated myself the fix for my S-10 was the ignition key and tumbler. This truck has no other incidental problems starting ever .
The security light blinks continuously is an isolated moment that seems to relate to something causing the anti theft to kick on when cranking when it didnt want to start.
This is one thing I do not want to continue to deal with if it’s going to be a problem so I’d rather alleviate it right away

I suppose I could just have vats deleted ‘ I have tune shop local that’s able to .. I had already had planned that and the secondary air injection pump delete from the pcm since that also is failed.
The ONLY way to get rid of the passlock problems is to have it deleted from the PCM. The work arounds and relearn procedures will work for a few times, but not permanently.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The ONLY way to get rid of the passlock problems is to have it deleted from the PCM. The work arounds and relearn procedures will work for a few times, but not permanently.

X2, tune it out. It's a five minute job for anyone with HPTuners, EFILive or JET DST. More expensive than other bypass methods since you'll have to pay for the PCM licensing, but it's the only way that works 100% reliably.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here it is. The picture is gone but the description is excellent.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2, tune it out. It's a five minute job for anyone with HPTuners, EFILive or JET DST. More expensive than other bypass methods since you'll have to pay for the PCM licensing, but it's the only way that works 100% reliably.
Next spare 300$ ....I'll have it done .. We have a good local speed shop near me I deliver parts too! They can delete this with hp tuners and the other 2-3 things I need.

Question Does this mean if I buy a new key and ignition tumbler it's pretty much plug the first crank , once that pass lock is tuned out of the pcm ?

I ask cause I want to get a keyless entry and remote start ,but the installer I use for years told me my year 99' requires a extra module that was extra cost on top of the keyless setup. I think it had to do with the pass lock system ,because he didn't need one for my 94 tbi suburban keyless/ remote setup prior

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ask cause I want to get a keyless entry and remote start ,but the installer I use for years told me my year 99' requires a extra module that was extra cost on top of the keyless setup. I think it had to do with the pass lock system ,because he didn't need one for my 94 tbi suburban keyless/ remote setup prior

Yes, Passlock equipped vehicles traditionally need a bypass module if you install a remote start. You won't need it if the Passlock is tuned out.

I'd probably skip the aftermarket keyless/remote start system if I were you though. I've had one in both of my '97s for 10+ years now, they've both been replaced at least once, and neither are working 100% properly at the moment. They aren't nearly as robust or durable as factory electronics and tend to develop issues over time.

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
It can be done with a resistor in the three wires coming from the ignition tumbler. If memory serves me correctly, I used a 2.2k resistor and did the relearn.
yes it can be done did that on a 2000 firebird passlock/passkey/vats that has a pellet/chip in the key one day the car just would not start got some resisters at radioshack connected them so the matched the resistance of the key that was a bout 12 years ago now it is still working but I know one day it will not the only way to permanently fix it is to tune it out

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You don't need to replace your tumbler or key. Simply have the function tuned out of the PCM.

Viper makes a good alarm/remote start if you don't buy the cheapest one they have. I've got them on both our SS's, have had the one on my black SS for 8 years now, still works perfectly. I'd guess the silver SS probably 7 years? I think we've had the truck that long. A quality install goes a long way here, which can be the trick, because too many installers do the quickest, crappiest job they can get away with.

Richard