SBC Oil Filter Adapter Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuffy331

Reaction score
I have 1994 K1500 that's leaking Oil from the Oil Filter Adapter housing bad. I've replaced the gasket numerous times and everytime I take it off and put it back on, Oil starts flooding out where the block meets the Adapter upon start up. I've only gotten it to work by keep taking off and putting the Adapter back on and off until it all of the sudden stops flooding out. It still drips a good amount even after that. My Adapter has the oil cooler lines too. Surfaces are clean, I've tried all gaskets, even ac delco. Adapter doesn't appear cracked or warped. I plan on pulling one from the junk yard, but I was interested if anyone else has experienced this. Has a somewhat fresh motor with high pressure pump, oil pressure at idle is 60psi and full throttle is 60psi lol not sure if there's a problem but thought I'd put that out there too. Any similar experiences or recommendations would be great. Thanks

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hopefully no crack at the block itself. I am assuming you inspected thoroughly for that. "Going to the junk yard for another one"? You have a used one already. "Somewhat fresh motor"? Used one or reman? I would get a new housing but I like spending OPM. Sure it is not where the lines are attached?

tuffy331

Reaction score
I said "to get one" from the junkyard. It's a 383 stroker I built with probably around 50,000 miles. Ig it's not "somewhat fresh", it's a little bit past fresh. It's not where the lines are attached. It's between the block and the housing. Can put a brand new gasket in there and put it on, start it, and it will start flooding out where the housing meets the block. Can probably go through a quart in 5 seconds or less

tuffy331

Reaction score
I've tried to fix this leak 3 different times, and everytime it's done this until I messed with enough to just make leak a few drops. By mess I mean taking off and putting on and starting it a whole bunch of times. Everytime I waste a few quarts and don't fix the leak.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've tried to fix this leak 3 different times, and everytime it's done this until I messed with enough to just make leak a few drops. By mess I mean taking off and putting on and starting it a whole bunch of times. Everytime I waste a few quarts and don't fix the leak.
Getting another from a treasure yard might show you what is off with yours. Its always some little thing missing or worn that isn't noticed until you compare the two.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I said "to get one" from the junkyard. It's a 383 stroker I built with probably around 50,000 miles. Ig it's not "somewhat fresh", it's a little bit past fresh. It's not where the lines are attached. It's between the block and the housing. Can put a brand new gasket in there and put it on, start it, and it will start flooding out where the housing meets the block. Can probably go through a quart in 5 seconds or less
That sounds like when one of the cam seals went bad on my Dodge Intrepid. One of the sorta weak links on the Mopar 3.5 OHC V6. I could be putting a quart of oil in it, start it up, and watch it come out at the seam between the timing covers and the block.....