Rough running after adjusting timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnsonmtz

Reaction score
'89 5.7 TBI Reman engine with 35,000 miles and distributor was new when engine installed 4 years ago. I had a suspicion my timing was off a little so I decided to give it a check. With the engine warm and ESC wire disconnected it was almost at 4*. I adjusted back to 0* in base timing, reconnected the ESC and fired up. The engine loped and stumbled for about 10 seconds then found its idle. Immediately the SES light came on. Went for a test drive and all seemed okay and just assumed the SES was because ESC had been disconnected. NOPE!

Pulled in the drive, shut it off, then restarted. Engine loped, bucked, stumbled and misfired badly with any throttle. I've had the Ignition Control Module crap out before so thought maybe it somehow chose this moment to die again. I get a new ICM, install that, and there is some improvement but still lopes and stumbles on start up, finds idle after a few seconds, then SES light comes on. Exhaust smells awful so I think I'm running super rich.

I checked the codes and only get 12, diagnostic mode, and 3, end of read. I'm going to get a different timing light and see if maybe mine is junk and I accidentally set base timing incorrectly. If that's not it, what other things can I check and/or replace?

johnsonmtz

Reaction score
Problem solved, and it was a simple numbskull mechanic moment. You know that little vacuum line on the back of the TBI to the EGR controller? It really does make a difference when that is connected :ROFLJest:. My hand had slipped loosening the distributor bolt and I must have knocked it off it’s fitting. I reconnected the tube and bingo, it runs like a champ.

It’s nice when little things are the solution, but so frustrating when you cause it yourself and spend hours chasing your tail to find it. :rolleyes:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for updating...
Yeah I removed my distributor and didn't snap the coil wire to the cap all the way when I reinstalled everything ...Few days of crappy idle and goofy running and thought it was time for a new motor already..... ..thankfully not yet...