Replace front axle 4x4 drive actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, is there any way to determine the ratio using this information?

Would be much easier to just check the RPO code sticker in the glove box if it's still intact.

GU4 = 3.08
GU5 = 3.23
GU6 = 3.42
GT4 = 3.73
GT5 = 4.10

isd503

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all this information. It is very helpful. The reason I didn’t post the RPO code was because I thought it only applied to the rear axle. From what some of you are writing, it sounds like it applies to both the rear and the front axle. Is that true?

Is there any way to independently verify the ratio of the front axle without breaking it open? The reason I ask is because it is possible on these old trucks that someone replaced one and it is not factory.

Also, my preference has always been to use GM parts first unless I cannot get it anymore.

The RPO code for my rear axle is GT4/G80, 3.73. The RPO code for the front axle is YD3 and I have not been able to find anything on it. My glove box is aftermarket so I had to contact the GM Archives and buy the build sheet and RPO code list.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Signatures" don't show up on mobile devices.

I second what @Caman96 stated. Help us help you...

This is the worm gear adaptor I bought for my '88 to eliminate the worn out TLA
Is it the pre-96”s that need the harness and actuator and 96+ just the actuator?

isd503

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I see this: Front Drive Axle Actuator - 26060073 (2nd design, stamped ZKS, ZLW, ZXS, ZLY, ZXN, UM1, ZD2, ZWA, ZWB), are the stamps on the actuator or the axle?

Is there any key for these stamps?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
97 and up was electric

FWIW, my '97 K1500 Suburban (built in December of '96) still uses a thermal actuator. It may have been a mid-year '97 thing.

When I see this: Front Drive Axle Actuator - 26060073 (2nd design, stamped ZKS, ZLW, ZXS, ZLY, ZXN, UM1, ZD2, ZWA, ZWB), are the stamps on the actuator or the axle?

Is there any key for these stamps?

Not sure about the stamps, but I believe the actuators are all pretty much the same. Either you have one of the thermal style with two blade (or two round) terminals in the connector, or you have the newer electric style with the five pin connector.

If you want to convert from a thermal to an electric actuator you'll need the electric actuator itself and the Dorman wiring/spacer kit, part number 600-600. Note that this kit is only plug and play with the round terminal connector style thermal actuators, you may have to modify the harness and splice in the connector from your existing actuator if you have the two blade terminals.

EDIT - It looks like Dorman also has a complete conversion kit including the electronic actuator, harness, and spacer. Part number 600-490.

The reason I didn’t post the RPO code was because I thought it only applied to the rear axle. From what some of you are writing, it sounds like it applies to both the rear and the front axle. Is that true?

From the factory it definitely applies to both, as they need to match. If this truck is new to you and you haven't tested the 4WD, then it would be a good idea to verify.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
96 and below needs the conversion harness. 96 was the last year for the thermal actuator; 97 and up was electric
You must be registered for see images attach
This seems to indicate that 96 and up you don’t need the harness.
Edit: But it’s Dorman, I just checked and I have the 2-wire on my 96.

Last edited: