Redneck cat delete. This is ugly, y'all.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big bird

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, my passenger side cat plugged last Friday after I had the muffler replaced on Monaday due to a broken baffle.

Had to begin a 700 mi drive on a Sunday so no time to take it to a shop.

Friday evening I grabbed a 3" exhaust tip, exhaust patch tape, hose clamps, and bean cans. Had a sawzall. My arc welder was 700 miles away.

Cut out the cat, was able to leave both upstream and downstream O2 sensors in the exhaust.

Rear cut was pretty square, front cut was badly angled. Had to do it with the blade upside down and I was in the dark. Cut the exhaust tip using a couple pieces of firewood and my knee as a vise.

Rear exhaust tape, bean can, and hose clamp assembly held the entire 700 miles. Front patch kept blowing, had a 3/4" gap in it. Added a ring cut and formed from a baking pan and tightened with bailing wire, helped a little.

Ended up using the jbweld exhaust patch stuff that comes in a foil package, it would hold for a few hours before it would blow. Usually when I was around 4000 RPM in 3rd gear. I think I went through 6 of them. Stuff is pretty toxic, comes with nitrile gloves. Got a lot of funny looks in parking lots with the kid pouring water on my hands and arms while I washed off. Has a 20min idle cure.

It was so loud when it would blow! Would lose a lot of low end torque. (All y'all knuckleheads with the stupid loud exhausts take note: back pressure matters, especially for lowdown torque)

Got lucky and didn't get a ticket coming through town on the way to the new house.

It got us home.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it lost torque which I doubt it was from loss of scavenging not back pressure. More likely it was placebo because of how loud it was at even very light throttle. Overly loud cars and trucks seem sluggish at part throttle because they are extremely loud compared to the amount of pedal being fed to it. I have never had a V8 powered vehicle not pickup everywhere from the 60' mark on in the time slip with open cutouts.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've done such things. I used 12oz soda cans though. Those tend to get melty if subjected to excessive heat, but I was on the job, and layered 5 deep, it got me through!
It may be ugly, but it got ya through, and now you have a great story to tell! The trip would be far less memorable without this hackery fix!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I've done such things. I used 12oz soda cans though. Those tend to get melty if subjected to excessive heat, but I was on the job, and layered 5 deep, it got me through!
It may be ugly, but it got ya through, and now you have a great story to tell! The trip would be far less memorable without this hackery fix!

The big 42oz Heineken 'Keg' cans work much better for exhaust

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never had to do a bush fix like that on exhaust, but I have had to use bailing wire to repair a failed exhaust hanger that was allowing the muffler to drag the ground.

I also had a 1980 C10 years ago. I was over 100 miles from home, lost all electrical power in the cab, stalling the engine. Ended up having a wiring connector kit and some extra speaker wire from just having setup a new radio and adding speakers. I ran power straight from the battery to the HEI and started it with a screw driver across the starter solenoid. The old carbureted, mechanical everything truck made it home with only battery power and hand signals. Only electrical draw was the HEI. Got to dig into it more at home where I actually even had a test light at my disposal. The wiring had melted to that dumb metal heatshield tube near the starter and blew the fuse link.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the Exhaust sub-forum.

If y' gotta use cut-up bean cans, that's what y' use. Given any advance warning, I'd be using actual stainless-steel band-clamps.

God bless band-clamps. They come in butt-joint and lap-joint varieties. Simple to install, secure, potentially long-lasting, not horribly expensive. Available via mail-order from Summit, Jegs, Amazon, etc; or locally at NAPA and other parts stores.
Example:
www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-683250

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't fixed anything with baling wire since the 70s but, here's what I did with my old muffler before I got the new one a couple years ago :biggrin:
I see the problem, junk Flowmaster. The engine blew it apart so that it could actually exhale, lol.