Rack and Pinion Steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To be fair to FR the Mustang debacle may not occur with other vehicles if the tie rods are in the same position as they were originally with the recirculating ball steering gear. That FR allowed the Mustang set-up to market though doesn't inspire much belief in that however.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The inner and outer pivot points need to be the same or your steering angles will be off, causing wicked bumpsteer issues. As in your whole truck dodging a foot to the side when you hit a bump.

[storytime]
I know I've shared this before, but this time I'll tell the whole story.

My race team originally raced an MR2, and the first few races we had some wicked bumpsteer. We went to race at Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur, TX and had a champion CMC driver (Mike Mosty) behind the wheel during test-n-tune. On the front straight he hit a bump and the entire car jumped a foot to one side. We jacked the front end to investigate. Our buddy Ross happened to be watching the front wheels and they toed way out as we jacked it. Our team captain, Pat, had installed a "bumpsteer elimination kit", but it didn't play nice with the lowering kit and actually caused way more bumpsteer.

We couldn't remove the bumpsteer kit - it required modifying the knuckles. We had a spare set of knuckles, but they still had the brake backing plates on them. My team captain insisted we'd have to split the knuckles apart to remove them. We put everything back together without the bumpsteer kit and the new knuckles with backing plates, and Hawk racing pads.

I drove the first stint of the race and the car was perfect. After two hours Pat got behind the wheel. An hour in he radioed and said, "Something's wrong with the brakes. I'm coming in."

Then "Never mind, they're fine."

A few seconds later, "I HAVE NO BRAKES!"

I was in the pit spot as he pulled in, and the brakes were on fire. Note: brake fluid burns green. Our fire extinguisher was up at the hot pits, but our pit neighbors had an extinguisher right there. I stole it and tried to get it into the brakes. The rotor covered the brake caliper and I couldn't get the extinguisher to the caliper from the wheel side. The car was lowered with an air dam, so I couldn't get in under the front. I opened the frunk (MR2 is mid-engined), and luckily Pat had cut away part of the inner fender. I had a direct shot to the fire, and I emptied the extinguisher.

I pulled the wheel and my wife checked the brake rotor temp with my infrared thermometer. It was still over 900*F! We ate through a set of racing pads and their backing plates in three hours of racing. The brake piston wore down until it was able to fall out, and then the caliper dumped brake fluid onto 900*F+ brakes. Brake fluid is flammable at those temperatures.

I pulled out a hammer and chisel and had the backing plates off in about ten seconds per side. We ran the rest of the race on parts store pads and rotors with no issues.

You must be registered for see images attach

[/storytime]