R4 Scroll Compressor Experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that is what I was taught years ago. Get in roll the windows down and drive for a min or two and let the cabin air out instead of trying to make the AC system remove all that heat right at the start.
That is why I kick off the recirculate to start with. So that the ac starts out cooling off the cooler outside air.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About those scroll compressors...

Didn't someone (on GMT400?) suggest that the guts of that R4-like scroll compressor is a Sanden scroll (maybe their TRSA90 or a copy-cat) simply re-wrapped in an R4-like housing?

I *know* I read it but I can't remember where and I don't know if was proven to be true.

Attachments

• Sanden 4913 TRSA90 scroll compressosr.pdf
    802 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the update...
Is something like this what you installed? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=12710637&cc=1031184&pt=17507&jsn=981
That compressor in the link looks very different from the R4 pancake that comes with the early 90's.
If what you installed looks like the pic in the link I'm wondering if it's a direct bolt on to the OEM bracket?

Edit: I just realized you're the OP of this thread... and after seeing the video you linked, it sure looks like a pancake compressor. lol
I guess rock auto went with a generic picture of a random compressor in that link? If you have any other info that would be helpful let me know.

I see that PlayingwithTBI gave a suggestion on wiring the high pressure switch. I don't have a max air/recirculate button... but
I'm gonna see if I can find a good post on rewiring that.

Just looked at my RockAuto history and it was actually a UAC compressor. Part number CO11169MCKTAC. But if RockAuto says it fits a 90 then it is most likely the pancake/R4 style and will bolt right in.

SuperSpore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks to everyone that replied, very helpful :cheers:
also: playingwithtbi - ill read through your wiring thread, thank you