Prep truck before winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more important item to add. Again it’s a given for any time of year, but much more hazardous with snow and ice.

Brakes - confirm there is no drag from seized or rusted front calipers and rear drums. Also check for slow release after applying brakes. The rear drum brake hardware and backing plate should be clean and brake shoes should move freely on backing plate. Parking brake should be exercised often showing no drag upon release. You can get away with mild drag on dry roads, but when it comes to driving on snow and ice the fidelity needed for pressing the gas and brake pedal may result in spinning tires and sliding down a hill sideways respectively.

Rickyxxl

Reaction score
Does it need a new alternator? New battery?

Why?
Overall I’d like to bring the rear out maybe 1/2” outside the fender line to match with the front. It’s an OCD thing, I just want symmetrical tire poke. I am on spacers right now but would rather not worry about them falling off so am in the market for wheels and tire setup.

Rickyxxl

Reaction score
One more important item to add. Again it’s a given for any time of year, but much more hazardous with snow and ice.

Brakes - confirm there is no drag from seized or rusted front calipers and rear drums. Also check for slow release after applying brakes. The rear drum brake hardware and backing plate should be clean and brake shoes should move freely on backing plate. Parking brake should be exercised often showing no drag upon release. You can get away with mild drag on dry roads, but when it comes to driving on snow and ice the fidelity needed for pressing the gas and brake pedal may result in spinning tires and sliding down a hill sideways respectively.
Yessir thank you for all the information. Simple and easy to follow for someone who overthinks everything. The past owner always used the parking break and so do I. Every time.

Rickyxxl

Reaction score
Recently had the same question from my nephew. This list is comprehensive and several items are a given with the purchase of a used older vehicle, but as always it depends on your budget.

-Wiper blades - check/replace
-Washer fluid - check pump function and spray pattern (while driving) and use deicer fluid.
-Battery and charging - check/replace
-Belts - check/replace
-Tires - preferably snow tires/aggressive, check tread depth, tire pressure @ cold temp. Chains for deep snow area
(small tarp to lay on).
-Oil - 5W… synthetic.
-Transmission fluid - check for cleanliness and level. Go with synthetic for cold temps.
-P.S fluid. Check for cleanliness and level. Go with synthetic for cold temps.
-Drive train fluids - check for cleanliness and level. Go with synthetic for cold temps.
-Coolant - check level and correct mixture for lowest temps in your area.
-Undercarriage - rust prevention, check for rusty exhaust clamps or anything loose.
-Spare tire - remove and inflate/balance, grease hardware, confirm all hardware is present required to change a tire.
-Exterior - wax or provide a protective coating.
-Lights - check operation and consider brighter headlights. The stock candle lights need some improvement.
-Interior - winter mats to keep slush, snow and water off the carpet/floor.
-Check for adequate air flow and temp to defrost vent.
-Clean/lubricate door locks, handles, hinges, tail gate, steering linkage, and chassis/suspension.
-Keep fuel tank 1/2 full or more. Helps with adding weight to the vehicle too.
-Without a cap the bed is open to the elements. Hopefully you have a bed liner. Depending on terrain and snow depth in your region - add some weight over rear axle for added grip. With the added weight the truck may potentially handle differently (over steer etc.) so refrain spirited driving dry days.
-Snow brush/ice scraper.
-Go-bag - flashlight, cell phone charger, tool kit, shovel, jumper cables, first aid kit, extra clothing, blankets, gloves/hand warmers, and flares/warning triangle.
Beautiful list. Thank you, I appreciate it.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yessir thank you for all the information. Simple and easy to follow for someone who overthinks everything. The past owner always used the parking break and so do I. Every time.
A fellow overthinker. You see a “Beautiful List” which translates to structure and order that aids in decision making and the bonus is - more ideas. Being an overthinker can be a huge benefit when dealing with complex problems that require a creative thought process. Overthinkers tend to be excellent problem solvers as a result of their analytical thought processes. Gathering information and analyzing it are the two phases. The second phase is the problem of overthinkers. Knowing when is enough is the difficult part.. analysis paralysis. It can be controlled making it an asset to any job function. Think of it as a gift and not a handicap. Trust me - You’ll figure it out. Btw nice truck!