Once again, no start when hot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know they didn't come that way from GM, that's why I asked.
Even TBI can get vapor lock - that's why most 454s and some HD 350s came with the "Hot Fuel Module" to run enough gas through the system to blow out any vapor bubbles. So, I guess vapor lock is a possibility however improbable it is.

Last edited:

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this only happens when hot have you tried the starter? Mine would act like no turn over or fire when hot had to put a shield on the starter solenoid and it never did it again. That was about 15 years ago

Medic0893

Reaction score
Had a similar issue turned out to be the coil. Other possibility would be the ignition module. Both are sensitive to heat, working normally cool and cutting out with heat.

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3 distributors in a month ? What if the wire terminals in connectors have lost or loosing tension when hot, that's if it cranks but no spark but you have fuel pressure , I hate not having all the pieces to a puzzle because it's hard to figure out . And a lot of times we cause the problem(s) ourselves, now I'm talking about myself, follow diagnostic procedures from service manual for your application, don't skip steps because the last time I ckd it , it was good, I've also done that before and kicked myself in the backside for my own stupidity. Follow service procedures and should be able to find and repair problem.

RegMo

Reaction score
Mine will do that when it gets hot took me forever to figure it out and it turned out to be the fuel pump relay overheating, only way I found it was running it in my drive till it happened and finally after several times swapped the fuel pump relay just for the hell of it and cranked right up. Might be worth trying

Reaction score
May sound dumb but I had a truck that would periodically not start after running just fine. It ended up being the oil pressure sending unit on the back side of the engine near the distributor. Replaced that and it started reliably ever since. Until it was totaled many years later.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after several times swapped the fuel pump relay just for the hell of it and cranked right up. Might be worth trying
It ended up being the oil pressure sending unit on the back side of the engine near the distributor.
It has to be both to kill it. The Oil Pressure Switch is backup for the Fuel Pump Relay.

You must be registered for see images attach