Once again, no start when hot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thread title says it all. 89 5.7L 5-speed. All research says ignition module in the distributor. This is the 3rd distributor in a month.

I thought I had the problem solved (hence, the third new distributor), so I drove to a reputable alignment shop to finally get that done. They called me an hour later and said the truck won't start. It'll crank until the cows come home, but no start.

Don't know what else could possibly be the issue here.

Any last suggestions before I have the damn thing towed home?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I got a ride to the alignment shop and made it there JUST in time to get the keys. Went out and cranked it. It's just about ice cold. Still no start and it sounds like there's no spark. I don't have time right now to go digging into it at the moment.

I'll head back tomorrow morning and see what happens.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start with basics. Anybody can miss something small. Research as in net answers from the void? Any testing using a scanner? Any codes from diagnostics? Any reference to FSM guidance for no start conditions?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start with basics. Anybody can miss something small. Research as in net answers from the void? Any testing using a scanner? Any codes from diagnostics? Any reference to FSM guidance for no start conditions?

Well, all the above, including some advice from my FIL.

Anyway, went back to try starting it again after dinner - except I put an HEI spark tester on the number 1 cylinder. Fired RIGHT up. The spark tester showed a white but steady spark. Shouldn't it be blue?

Turned it off, put the wire back on, started it up, and drove it home without issue.

Once again it goes on the back burner because the rear diff on my daily decided to grenade today. :banghead::banghead::banghead: THAT now takes priority. No warning at all. It just exploded out of nowhere. Fortunately, I've built several GM rears with much success.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all...

What vehicle? What axle?

Truth.

06 Silverado. 10 bolt rear. I'm not even sweating it.

Just trying to decide if I want to go to the yard and pull JUST the gears/carrier/etc..., OR, do I want to find something wrecked and swap the whole axle over.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It reminds me of vapor lock. Are you running a mechanical fuel pump and carb?