Oil pan gasket change 5.7 L31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck leaked oil before the repair, and still leaked after it.
That’s sucks .. I’m hind sight was it from installing the gasket in a different fashion or doing something out of order? Or just maybe surfaces weren’t flat or clean ?

That’s a bummer after all that work

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That’s sucks .. I’m hind sight was it from installing the gasket in a different fashion or doing something out of order? Or just maybe surfaces weren’t flat or clean ?

That’s a bummer after all that work
I don't know. It was a decent truck but its replacement is way better.

kidwonder

Reaction score
I have replaced the oil pan gasket 2x on my 1995 K1500, the second time due to my error.

Remove front differential, remove oil filter housing, remove torque converter cover, and remove oil pan. No need to remove any engine mounts or bolts. You may need to rotate the crank to create clearance to removed oil pan gasket by the dipstick tube.

The job is not hard, but it is time consuming.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kidwonders experience echos my own. I did everything to avoid pulling the dif, and once I pulled it I instantly regretted not doing it sooner.
I tore the pan gasket trying to do the timing cover. I don't think I cleaned the pan rail enough, and I was too shy with the RTV. It still leaks. I haven't bothered to fix it again, as I'm building a stroker for it.