No headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cherryred98

98 k1500 pro comp 4” lift
Reaction score
So I’m having this issue where my drl comes on, but at night when I turn the switch to headlights they turn off and the dash lights turn on with no high beams, I still have running lights. If I put it to the running light or the middle position on the switch I get headlights running lights and dashlights but no high beams. And I pretty much always drive with my high beams because my halogen bulbs are dog feces. And I refuse to get aftermarket headlights, I’ll get new bulbs soon but I still need my high beams

Also, idk if it works on these trucks, but when you press the dome override button 4 times it’s supposed to switch to auto headlights right? Mine doesn’t

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where did you hear that? Auto what? Headlight high to low for traffic. Night sentinel, they switch on at dusk?
If you don't know, what makes you think there is this function?
Get new bulbs don't be an *** driving with high beams , blinding other drivers. You don't own the roads.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
There's no auto headlights on these trucks. The '98 does indeed have DRL's but they have no sensing circuit, they just come on when the truck is on but headlights are off.

You most likely have a bad headlight switch, or damaged wiring inside the column near the tilt mechanism where the wires run from the multifunction switch for the high/low beam selection.

And fully agreed with not running your high beams everywhere. It's super inconsiderate to everyone else on the road. If your headlights suck, fix them. If the lenses are yellowed and cloudy then wet sand them, polish, and clearcoat - or replace them. If they're not getting enough voltage, there are relay kits that will run power straight to them from the battery instead of the load going through the headlight switch circuit which can cause voltage drop. If they're adjusted poorly (extremely possible since you have a lift kit) then adjust them.

Richard