No crank no start 98 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgeh13

Reaction score
I've have this issue with my 98 that I bought off my aunt two and half years after my cousin pass away, he was in the middle of replacing the starter since he thought it went bad then his health went downhill. So it just sat in the turnaround for a few years, I replaced the starter got the truck to run once it ran for about half hour then just quit I started it back up but I had to put my foot on the gas to start it, now it won't even crank so, I thought it was the starter relay so I bought it and replaced it but Its not that and so I bought a ignition switch thinking it was that and I was slightly rough with taking it out and broke the ignition switch actuator so I replaced the whole steering column, I did the relearn process but the security light does not stay solid. It does not flash stays on probably for 2 seconds and then shuts off but still will not crank over, I jump the pins on 30 and I think it was 87 and it wants to start but it dies right after it turns over, I'm getting spark, today I found two ground wires broken and I plan on fixing them Sunday but I'm not sure if it's the ground issue since when I check to make sure I had power going to all the right pins at the starter relay there were three grounds and one hot with 12.5 volts which was pin 30, I've been working on cars for a few years but wiring issues my strong suit, I work at a local dealership but it's not a gm, it's a Nissan, granted I was sent to Nissan's electrical schooling for basic and advance electrical and finished early in both, but they didnt really show relife applications like this. I need help before I throw in the towel and send it to the local gm shop

Georgeh13

Reaction score
Also the shifter indicator doesn't show that it's in any gear so I'm kinda leaning towards the neutral safety switch but I tried to start in neutral and other gears but it still wouldn't start

bigshane

Reaction score
I need help before I throw in the towel and send it to the local gm shop
Take a look at this ongoing thread for some probable insight.
Particularly starting in this post (#116), User "Road Trip" begins walking OP and spectators through a veritable "Master Class" in diagnostic logic, especially GMT400 electrical troubleshooting with all its quirks and known issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtojrr