No Battery Power At All

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rehoward

Reaction score
I just finished a very extended clutch replacement on my 1993 K1500 with 305 and 5speed manual trans. I did a whole bunch of other stuff
while i was at it such battery replacement and starter replacement. Yesterday I finally got it back on the ground and it started right up. I moved
it around in my driveway and stopped and started it several times.

Today I went out to drive it to the local car wash but when I turned the ignition key on I got nothing. Zero. No response from gauges or door locks or
power windows or starter. So I assumed the battery was drained. But the battery was fine and fully charged. So now I am baffled. How can
everything go dead like that from just sitting overnight? Is there a main fuse or fusible link that protects the entire fuse box? And why would it blow?
I never had any issues like this before with the truck.

Randy

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked your battery cables? Both battery sides and their connections ground and starter. Checked fuses?
You replaced battery recheck connection s and continuity , trace power to electric center.

rehoward

Reaction score
Found the issue. Years ago I put a battery disconnect on the battery to eliminate parasite drain when I leave it parked for a long time.
That device was the culprit. It was not making a reliable connection as when I removed it everything worked as it should. It is one of
those things that look like this, (see attachment).

I cannot recommend them as I also had issues with it not disconnecting when loosened. Real junk.

If anyone knows of a capable and reliable battery disconnect that can handle cranking amperage draw please let me know.

Randy

Attachments

• Battery Disconnect.jpg
    Battery Disconnect.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 6

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best would be to just pull the negative cable off the battery. That way you wouldn't have to worry about some device not working again like you just found. Other then that I have no idea who makes a good disconnect.

rehoward

Reaction score
Hmm, did you send an image RichLo because if you did, it doesn't seem to have come through. I have had good luck with saving
stuff as files and then attaching them with the attach files option below the message