New Hampshire Shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhoj27

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a shop in New Hampshire that knows what's up on our trucks?

Been through 4 shops for various things and they all suck/tell me it's an old truck...get a newer one, but it's pretty clean if you ask me!

Will keep this shorter but each one has resulted in the truck worse than I brought it or near crisis (one super low trans fluid after getting fluid and filter change!).

1992 k1500 swb been having hard to chase issue (for me). Random stalls and have thrown some parts at it, only thing I can correlate is hot weather above 88-90 degrees and stalls out. Just did it today from cold engine...usually happens after warmed up.

Could be caused by shop I went to using crappy fuel pump during gas tank replacement but this is out of my skillset. I'll take on anything suspension/simple, but when it comes to fuel delivery or electrical Im just winging it!

Appreciate any leads, or if anyone out there interested in cash for their time in NH area, happy to pay for your time.

Peavey

Reaction score
Hi!

Since your truck is a -92, I assume it´s a 305/350 TBI? Is has been a while since I worked on one of those, but if the regular maintainance items like plugs, wires, cap and rotor are in good shape, I would look into replacing the engine coolant temp. sensor or ECT. If I remember correctly, it is located on the intake manifold and is a common source for problems.

Other than that, check the EGR valve if it holds vacuum and operates like it´s supposed to (also located on the intake manifold).
The ECT or the EGR doesn´t really require a lot of "mechanical skills" to replace and they don´t cost that much either.

Do you have any trouble codes? The codes on a TBI can be read using for instance a bent paper clip in the OBD-terminal.

Anyway, just a couple of suggestions. I hope you get it to run correctly.

//J

nhoj27

Reaction score
Thanks!

So far thrown these parts:

Distributor cap
ICM
Coil
Plugs & Wires
Top temp sensor & connector
New grounds to thermostat housing area
EGR
MAP
Vacuum line
That shop put in "fuel sending unit" which I'm trying to get more info about today.

Bought but didn't yet:

fuel pump relay
Fuel filter (but dang runs great when it runs great)
Have IACV arriving tomorrow

Unfortunately no trouble codes...only 12's

Yesterday "feels like" temp over 100 outside was first time it stalled out upon cold start, usually if temp is up 82+, I drive for 20 mins or so and then it's the fun stall...wait 15 mins....drive for a few miles...and repeat for a lovely 3 hour drive that normally is 45min.

Later yesterday, fired right up and couldn't stall it when ambient temp was about 75.

What is ECT? Same as ECM?

Last edited:

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You maybe talking about Engine Coolant Temperature sensor . But without knowing for sure with scan data your just swagging. ECTS communicates to ECM a voltage value and ECM takes that and knows what coolant temperature is. But without scan data just guessing. A coolant temp to low will cause rich or flooding condition, coolant temp to high will be lean or not enough fuel, without cking those 2 circuits and scan data or cking at ECM with negative battery cable disconnected and ECM connectors unplugged and cking at those 2 wires with a DVM (digital volt meter) then you can compare that resistance reading to a chart that's located in driveability and emissions manual for your truck which can be downloaded from sticky thread above this thread section . Sorry for long post, just not trying to confuse and welcome to the forum.

nhoj27

Reaction score
Ok cool ya I'll try that out and dig up which slot on the ECM plug to check. Already changed the ECTS, the connector and the ground but maybe the signal wire after the new plug is crappy. Will prob need to get creative extending my volt meter wires haha!

Thanks!

Spiderswiss

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a shop in New Hampshire that knows what's up on our trucks?

Been through 4 shops for various things and they all suck/tell me it's an old truck...get a newer one, but it's pretty clean if you ask me!

Will keep this shorter but each one has resulted in the truck worse than I brought it or near crisis (one super low trans fluid after getting fluid and filter change!).

1992 k1500 swb been having hard to chase issue (for me). Random stalls and have thrown some parts at it, only thing I can correlate is hot weather above 88-90 degrees and stalls out. Just did it today from cold engine...usually happens after warmed up.

Could be caused by shop I went to using crappy fuel pump during gas tank replacement but this is out of my skillset. I'll take on anything suspension/simple, but when it comes to fuel delivery or electrical Im just winging it!

Appreciate any leads, or if anyone out there interested in cash for their time in NH area, happy to pay for your time.
Im in NH and had the same problem with my 92 4.3 tbi. Ended up figuring alot of it out myself. With the hot weather random stall, my go to is always a new OEM MAP sensor.

Diver

Reaction score
My 88 c1500 350 TBI gave me fits for a while like yours, I started with plugs then cooling temp sensor then map sensor then coil then cap and rotor . Each time i replaced a part it seemed better. Although the wires seemed ok i replaced them and now truck runs fine in the SC heat. I had so many darn codes that confused the heck out of me..The only garage i found that was good on older trucks and cars in NH when i lived there was Hughs automotive in Laconia.

nhoj27

Reaction score
Thanks. Ya somewhat hot day today and it did it again. Cold start turned on and then stalled after 15 seconds. Repeated multiple times enough for me to do some troubleshooting. After the first, they were immediate stalls after start or putting into drive.

Now have a spark tester and I get spark when it stalls.

Turned the key to prime, pump sounded normal for a moment, and then sounded like kinda a sad groan that petered off like not enough power going to it. Try to start and fired up and immediately died.

Later attempts, got a clean sounding prime and then started fine and idled for a while till I turned it off.

Have since above list installed new fuel filter. TPS, and IACV... none but fuel filter prob related but old truck so just did em.

Replaced a few more gounds last weekend and the negative battery ground and main ground strap arriving soon.

Sucks I dropped a grand on new fuel tank at this shop and was very clear I wanted all new internals, fuel filler neck/etc. with no cut corners (Delphi).

Trying to decide if I try to get them to troubleshoot and potentially make it right on their dime, or just not fight that battle.

Appreciate the tip. And Laconia about 1.5 hours but I might get in touch and drive it over on a cool day. 100% a hot day thing and not to do with engine temp.