New exhaust manifold spring bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob249

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having a VERY hard time getting those springs on the manifold to y pipe studs, I think they go between the ypipe flange and the nut, dont remeber when I took the old ones off. How on earth so you get the nuts started against the spring pressure? Is there some trick?

The springs are there for a reason, but im getting to the point of just leaving them off. If the springs were just 1/4" shorter it wouldnt be an issue at all.

This shouldnt be the hard part of a motor replacement.

rob249

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE? WHAT VEHICLE?

I don't remember seeing springs on exhaust fasteners in the SBC world, perhaps I missed something. No idea about BBC, or Diesel.
94' Yukon, 5.7. The springs go between the y pipe flange and the nuts, with the studs on the manifold end.
Or clamp it in a vice and run a bunch of zip ties round it to keep it compressed.
This did it, I smashed the springs down in a vice, this shortened them by a 1/4" or so, just enough to get the nuts threaded on.

Now I just have to deal with that ridiculously short O2 sensor plug.

Going to find some engineers to beat up once im done with this motor swap.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE? WHAT VEHICLE?

I don't remember seeing springs on exhaust fasteners in the SBC world, perhaps I missed something. No idea about BBC, or Diesel.
Schurkey, all of my TBI trucks have had the stud, spring, flanged nut on them from the factory. I Don't remember if the '98 vortec had them or not

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. You're right. Studs in the manifold, springs and nuts clamping the donut.

I have zero memory of scrapping that stuff when the original engine popped in my K1500.

Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the Exhaust sub-forum.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Deep well socket with a decent extension while putting some a#$ behind it with a gun worked well enough for me...

This after spending too long drilling out the JBA flanges so they'd line up...wtf?

rob249

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They went right on after I smashed them in the vice. I asked the mechanic at work about leaving them off, he said the springs are needed to prevent the studs from breaking when the manifold heats and expands.