Need older allloy wheel i.d. and lug nut thread size for my '96 please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Search didn't get me far. My 1996 GMC K1500 came with the wheels you see in the attached photo. Finish on them is tired, but they seem to run true and I can't afford new wheels. (I actually 'kinda like these anyway) The only name I see on them is on the center cap which is marked, "Modern." They carry 2.45x75x16 inch rubber which I'm getting ready to replace with 2.65's.
Can anyone identify the wheels? And any idea where I could get new center caps??? (new center caps do not need to say, "Modern.")
Lastly, I've not pulled a wheel off yet and the the old lug nuts seem to be nothing more than stock. It takes a thin-wall socket to even get to them. I'd like to buy new, longer acorn nuts so they could be removed with either a thin-wall socket or a normal socket because I'd like new ones to extend out further. I know better than to buy lug nuts from NAPA, ($$$!!!), so how about Amazon? Just order GM tapered nuts.
Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks, Dennis in E WA.

Last edited by a moderator:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Bunch of brand names with that wheel or a very similar design, it's what the wheel dealers would refer to as a "commodity" wheel. Center caps will have to be found by shopping around sites that list caps by their bore sizes and hope you can find some that will match what you have.

If the lug nut seats in the wheel are conical, yes, run that style of lug nut - but an extended length nut isn't going to get you away from using a thinwall socket. You could have long lug nuts poking out from the face of the wheel, put a socket on it, and risk scratching up the face of the wheel with the socket.

14mm x 1.5 thread pitch are the wheel studs on your truck. Take your pick in those, with the conical seat, and get a quality thin wall socket.

Plenty of junk on amazon.. there's some really low quality lug nuts on the market. I'd personally use some Gorilla spline drive lugs (around $2/ea) and order an extra key (about $7) - they're not technically locks as the pattern isn't unique, it's basically just a big external torx style pattern.

Richard

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"someother..," - thank you. That's a big help. I'm going to pull one of the nuts, verify it's tapered, then order from Amazon. Your reference to the Gorilla brand is what I'll look for. Nothing else. And I'll watch that they will be 14mmx1.5. Thin wall - spline drive??: sure. I can live with that.
As far as identifying the real wheel brand and or name, it looks like it'll be a, "needle in a haystack," search for that. I've done multiple Google Images searches and nothing even close.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
American Racing (AR160) Atlas?

This is a link to the original one piece aluminum polished version. They also came in chrome it appears.

Last edited: