Mysterious radiator hose connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If order say a radiator for 3500 series with big block that's what the OE radiator looked like.
It's also known as " economy of scale ". You can them cheaper if there the same and by the thousands.

Mikes98

Reaction score
Did I order the right radiator? I swear to god I cannot figure out what this hose connection is for!
Going through the same "angst" with replacing the original rad on my '98.

While many of the online catalogs for the big chain auto parts stores ...to include NAPA & Summit ...show a rad *without* that extra nipple, the reality is they *all* seem to come with it. Just wasted a bunch of time checking out AutoZone and NAPA for their shown rads that don't have the nipple ...they all came with it. NAPA sells Spectra radiators ...the box says "Made in China" but the rad is stamped "Made in Canada". I guess these days NAPA just defaults to labeling "Made in China" for all their parts. I returned the NAPA/Spectra because of the extra hose connection and because the bottom rail of the core was bowed. Had the box opened at AutoZone with the same issue; the extra hose connection. I told them in both places why would anyone buy a radiator with a potential leak source already built into it? I figure that crappy Chinesium rubber will last about a year (maybe) before it starts leaking coolant ...or worse.

Thanks to east302 for the link to the thread with the Amazon link to the (hopefully) more robust cap for these rads. I'll swing by one of my other local NAPA shops and order up another Spectra and know I have a good alternative to the rubber cap for the extra hose fitting.

Mike

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the one I used in my Spectra radiator. I took the cheap one off and threw it in the glove box as a spare for emergency only.
HPS 5/8" (16mm) Black High Temperature 3-ply Reinforced Silicone Coolant Cap Bypass Heater, 1-5/8" Length, 350F Max. Temp, 4mm Wall Thickness
https://a.co/d/017Sy6V8

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put this one in my 98 Tahoe a while back (with transmission and oil cooler ports). It didn’t have that port.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replacement radiators are made universal so they dont need to make multiple different part numbers depending on what options a vehicle has. So they come with extra fittings and stuff that doesnt effect the function if its not being used.

Spot on accurate!

O.P. When you go a parts shopping, you can order parts for a '98.
Or call it a "1500 classic"
Or "not the Silverado"
Or "with rear drum brakes"

I've gotta do all that for my '00 Yukon Denali. The parts jockeys are just uninformed kids most if the time.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they’re pretty proud of it. It was probably $300-ish a few years ago when I got it.
I think I paid $160.00 3 years ago at Advance Auto for my Spectra duel core. So far so good, but I owe it all to you, since you pointed out the HPS Silicone cap! :D