Mr. Jangles 99 K3500 CCLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not much has happened last few weeks. I got the tires put on and a list of things the shop says needs replacement. Sometime over the night the lift pump decieded to blow its guts out and leak fuel over there parking lot. I had them replace the pump since I wasnt going to drive it puking fuel everywhere. They also said it needed carrier bearing and the rear output shaft. I had them do that as well as u joints. All the tie rods are loose as is the pitman and idler according to there mechanic.

He also said it needed brakes and wheel bearings. He stated it needed drums but didn't say what was wrong with them. When I asked he said I didn't take them apart I just assumed it needed them since it needs the fronts. Thank god my brain to mouth filter was working or I would have said something. He also said this in front of the shop owner and if looks could kill the mechanic would be dead. I'm pretty sure he got an ass chewing after I left about assuming. I have no problem replacing things but if its going to cost 600 dollars I want a conformation before I do it.

I know for sure it needs front end work because driving it how it has terrible death wobble. I need to get it jacked up and checked out. It wouldn't surprise me that it does indeed need the tie rods, idler and pitman with it being a old farm truck. I'm not sure about wheel bearings especially with the brake comment. I'll hopefully get into it this weekend.

Needless to say that mechanic is not working on my stuff again. I'm not going to pay for assumptions. I worked for the shop owner years ago and they do good work but if he doesn't get his guys(at least certain ones) to stop assuming they won't have my business anymore.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Not much has happened last few weeks. I got the tires put on and a list of things the shop says needs replacement. Sometime over the night the lift pump decieded to blow its guts out and leak fuel over there parking lot. I had them replace the pump since I wasnt going to drive it puking fuel everywhere. They also said it needed carrier bearing and the rear output shaft. I had them do that as well as u joints. All the tie rods are loose as is the pitman and idler according to there mechanic.

He also said it needed brakes and wheel bearings. He stated it needed drums but didn't say what was wrong with them. When I asked he said I didn't take them apart I just assumed it needed them since it needs the fronts. Thank god my brain to mouth filter was working or I would have said something. He also said this in front of the shop owner and if looks could kill the mechanic would be dead. I'm pretty sure he got an ass chewing after I left about assuming. I have no problem replacing things but if its going to cost 600 dollars I want a conformation before I do it.

I know for sure it needs front end work because driving it how it has terrible death wobble. I need to get it jacked up and checked out. It wouldn't surprise me that it does indeed need the tie rods, idler and pitman with it being a old farm truck. I'm not sure about wheel bearings especially with the brake comment. I'll hopefully get into it this weekend.

Needless to say that mechanic is not working on my stuff again. I'm not going to pay for assumptions. I worked for the shop owner years ago and they do good work but if he doesn't get his guys(at least certain ones) to stop assuming they won't have my business anymore.
That's a hateful assumption to make. I can see assuming axle bearings/seals on one side if the other is verified bad. Rear brakes and drum though, come on man, pull one and have a look. Geez. That one belongs over in the rant thread too.

Good on you for not making it an issue at the time. I wouldn't hesitate to have a friendly word with the shop owner and tech in private about it though.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a hateful assumption to make. I can see assuming axle bearings/seals on one side if the other is verified bad. Rear brakes and drum though, come on man, pull one and have a look. Geez. That one belongs over in the rant thread too.

Good on you for not making it an issue at the time. I wouldn't hesitate to have a friendly word with the shop owner and tech in private about it though.
The look I got from the shop owner when he said it I think is going to be enough. When I worked for him I had been on the end of a couple ass chewings and after a couple I figured out that I didn't like getting it so I shaped up and didn't have any more. I agree on the saying if one side is bad then the other is probably not far behind and to replace both. Also with things like ball joints. If say if a upper on one side is bad at least change the lower as well. With me I tend to do all 4 since they all have the same amount of mileage. I know it needs something done with the brakes since I have a bit of travel in the pedal before they start working. I could need shoes and drums or they might just need an adjustment. I'll find out what I need and go from there.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress has slowed quite a bit. I replaced the batteries I stole for my 95. I'm hoping I can get the front end parts it needs ordered tomorrow. Getting very irritated about my head liner. Its been what 2 months and I still haven't gotten it. I'm right on the verge of turning a$$hole and blowing my stack with the guy. I get shipping is a pain and is outrageous. I got a great deal on it but damn he needs to either get me what I paid for or refund my money.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well got most of my front end parts ordered. Went with the slow boat on shipping to save some and I'm not going to start tearing into it until next weekend. They should be here Friday. Hopefully I don't get jerked around with FedEx like i did with USPS.