Magnaflow cats vs jegs y pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoez71

Reaction score
Working on a 99 2 door tahoe.Just looking for exp with either. Was planning on a gibson cat back. Or even maybe putting the stock catback back on if I went with the jegs ypipe. Don't want obnoxiously loud. Have jba shorties. Thanks

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice thing bout the 2 doors is able to run true duals out the back. I had one back in the day, put some flowmasters on it (hey they were cool back then) with 4" stainless tips and sounded insane. Was loud, but more throaty than loud. Borla Pro XS are a good muffler, quiet, but some noise if you want....

Tahoez71

Reaction score
Which borla is it? I may just cut the factory muffler and do a 2 in one out. I'm just looking see exp with the magnaflow cats vs offroad jegs pipe sound wise. I don't want crazy loud. Is the factory cat back on these stainless 409? Thanks

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a magnaflow muffler on my 2-door with dual pipes, otherwise stock exhaust. Sounds good at throttle and idle, good low bass with more sound than stock, but no drone inside the cabin at any speed.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I have the jegs y pipe on both my 96 n 98. Fits nice. Get the REMFLEX flange gasket though. Also have the dynomax H-pipe behind that to run dual mufflers. You're in luck, just had to take pics for a guy of the 96 since partin it out.
You must be registered for see images attach

If u don't need to pass emissions and don't wanna tune the PCM run 2 spark plug defoulers on the rear most o2 sensors. truck never threw a code em.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The muffler changes your sound the most. I have a stock y-pipe straight into a 3ft glasspack and some would call it a little obnoxious when I roll into it. A high flow cat is a good way to get extra noise attenuation, probably won't restrict power if your motor is anywhere near stock.

Tahoez71

Reaction score
So the jegs y pipe is $253 and the cheapest I can get the magnaflows are $469. Most likley going to finished this off with a gibson cat back. I don't have to pass emissions, but an exhaust shop told me you will have the raw fuel smell without the cats and it will be louder. Wish I could hear some exhaust clips.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not gonna get a raw fuel smell. I put true duals on mine and didn't smell anything. I know Jegs has a pretty good selection of pipes for our trucks. Can piece it together n bolt it on in the driveway. That's what I did my my old Tahoe I had....

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran the off road front pipe and the cat back duels that they sell on my 99 sub. I drive 100 miles a day in it. Not quiet but not loud and droning. I turned the pipes out behind the rear tires instead of out the back. Got a nice rap from about 2500 up when you're getting on it. I had my 23 Ford c cab on the trailer backwards the other day running 60@2500 and it was really talking. First time I've worked it since I did the exhaust