Looking for performance heads open to options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Busters

Reaction score
I have a 5.7 vortec I got from the junk yard going to rebuild it plan to put performance parts on it. Yet I’m trying to look for some good head options for sanyone know what would be best to run one?

n2xlr8n

Reaction score
As opposed to what you have (assuming your engine has Vortec heads prone to cracking) I'm using the Summit 151124 Vortec heads; supposedly they are cast by Dart. According to a quote I read from somewhere reputable, a GM Performance cylinder head guy stated bone stock Vortecs with a good valvejob are good for 400 hp with street able compression, a 235-240 @ .050" camshaft and the usual mods.

My buddy, who CNCs probably 70% of the performance LS heads used in the U.S. and elsewhere flowed a set years ago and as-cast they out flowed (~235 cfm INT / 165 EXH) any stock performance GM cylinder head he had seen (Bowties excluded).

One item to consider if ordering the Summit 151124 heads: They come set up for flat tappet.
I was not paying attention when I ordered them, assuming Vortec=hydraulic roller, so I called them and asked why they sold / advertised them that way. They were kind enough to send replacement springs, retainers and locks. Trouble is....had I used those locks, it is very likely a valve would have been dropped because they were +0.050 locks, which cause interference with guided rocker arms and the keeper (lock). Measure twice, cut once. I followed up with Summit "Brody" in Tech Support to let them know that (as kindly as I could muster).

Good luck with your project; you're in the right place for assistance.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Those heads haven't been available for months on Blue Print's site! Note: looking at it, I see they're still sold out. I wonder if they'll work with the Vortec intake though. If so, I'd scarf em up!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean they look good other than they are really expensive, But they could probably work.
That's not too expensive post "Covid"! I bought my Summit Racing (made by Trick Flow) 162108 TBI heads for $800 and they flow better than Vortec too. These things are getting like hen's teeth unless you wanna pay a couple Gs