Lift pros and cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landen

Reaction score
I’m looking at getting a 4in lift for my 98 k1500 but I want to clear 35in tires everything I’m looking at says I can’t clear 35s with a 4in but you can with a 6in is there any major problems with lifting it that high or anything of the sort?

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on how much the angle deviates from factory spec, and the condition of what you have. It could be the same difference depending on how exactly you're achieving this lift.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pros: People you don't know and who don't care down at the Dairy Queen can see that you have a lifted truck.

Cons: Expensive, crappy handling due to raised center of gravity, difficult to get aligned--tire wear, ill handling, steering and bouncing bigass tires is hard on steering and suspension components, crappy braking due to bigass tires being stopped by tiny brakes especially on 1500s. Need to alter speedo readings and (probably) headlight aim. Makes the engine seem weaker unless you re-gear, ideally with a stronger rear axle because the craptastic 8.5" axle on most 1500s is stressed under normal circumstances.

95burban

Friends don’t let friends use spindles.
Reaction score
A 6in is a cranked 4in. It will ride kinda rough. As much as I hate body lifts, I would do a 4in with a body lift.

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pros: People you don't know and who don't care down at the Dairy Queen can see that you have a lifted truck.

Cons: Expensive, crappy handling due to raised center of gravity, difficult to get aligned--tire wear, ill handling, steering and bouncing bigass tires is hard on steering and suspension components, crappy braking due to bigass tires being stopped by tiny brakes especially on 1500s. Need to alter speedo readings and (probably) headlight aim. Makes the engine seem weaker unless you re-gear, ideally with a stronger rear axle because the craptastic 8.5" axle on most 1500s is stressed under normal circumstances.
To be fair, many of those cons (e.g., ill handling, etc.) apply to stock trucks as well. The reason you should lift your truck is because, with the right wheel/tire combination, it will look good.