Led brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71 pancho

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I got a set of clear taillights and I'm using Chrome tinted red bulbs as brake light. I bought red led, every time I test it out they burn the circuit board. Do I have to install a led resistor?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a set of clear taillights and I'm using Chrome tinted red bulbs as brake light. I bought red led, every time I test it out they burn the circuit board. Do I have to install a led resistor?
LED's always need a resistor. You can buy ones with built in resistors if you don't want to add one yourself.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
The middle socket (brake/turn signal) needs a special kind of LED bulb. It's referred to as an SRCK style. 100% mandatory if you're using the OEM-type circuit boards or copies of them, due to the way the power/grounds are situated on that socket. You can run a regular one in the top socket which is just the taillight function, but the middle MUST have the SRCK.

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The middle socket (brake/turn signal) needs a special kind of LED bulb. It's referred to as an SRCK style. 100% mandatory if you're using the OEM-type circuit boards or copies of them, due to the way the power/grounds are situated on that socket. You can run a regular one in the top socket which is just the taillight function, but the middle MUST have the SRCK.

Richard
I've been around these trucks for a long time and I'm still learning stuff from you!

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Around 1999 or so I installed some of the first LED 3157's in my '92, they were from Hz Engineering. Practically lit one on fire the moment it powered up. Working directly with the guy and diagramming the C/K circuit board for him, he came up with some that worked and sent me a replacement pair. :) I still have the burnt ones in my toolbox somewhere..

Richard

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a good led srck bulb to buy? I got some ebay ones but they did not work.