L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that makes sense. i am surprised you even bothered with that aftermarket ecu... i remember when you ran MAF on TBI, I wonder whatever happened to dimented24x7
I think he may have taken a job for one of the larger tuning software companies.

Hindsight being 20/20 I would not have wasted my time with the garbage aftermarket ECM. It is wired in a manner that is very easy to remove though. It only has 3 connection points to the OE harness and one is a quick disconnect plug for the fuel pump relay. So 12V battery, 12V keyed and fuel pump relay are the only things tied into the vans engine harness. I was hoping that with technology bring more advanced it would have run half way decent. Sad part is that if it had more control for the end user to make changes it would likely run great. The base tunes are absolute garbage though.

I am adding an a/c pressure sensor, oil pressure sensor and likely going to fit this one with electric fans. It will never see a trailer, so the dual GM LS1 F-car fan setup I have laying around should cool it ok. I almost left the 4L80E wiring, but I robbed it to repair the wiring in the 97 that I patched together years ago when I 4L85E swapped it. The harness extension was boarderline too short and it was soldered and wrapped with electrical tape back then. My wiring skills have come a long way im the past decade or so since I did that.

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a lot of work left to finish on it, but it does atleast resemble a harness again.

You must be registered for see images attach

Is that the standard parts store convoluted tubing, or the more robust factory style stuff? I've used the parts store variety, but always found it soft and less than adequate for maintaining shape through bends.

I'm a big fan of Tesa tape for building wiring harnesses, or at least to wrap the smaller branches. Large OD heat shrink is nice too, especially for shaping permanent bends in a harness.

Another question: What crimping tool are you using for the factory connector pins? I know there are nice, dedicated crimpers for Weatherpack and Metripack terminals, but most are on the pricey side of things.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question: What crimping tool are you using for the factory connector pins? I know there are nice, dedicated crimpers for Weatherpack and Metripack terminals, but most are on the pricey side of things.
I’d like to know if there is inexpensive crimper that works, too.
If ~$22 isn't too expensive, look at these in post #1. Further down, and on post #2) it shows the crimps it makes.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ~$22 isn't too expensive, look at these in post #1. Further down, and on post #2) it shows the crimps it makes.

*That* is some tidy, long-lasting work. Those pictures are worth more than a 1000 words each.
It's always nice to see super-organized work like this in electrical wiring, especially fabrication.

Color me impressed. :waytogo:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know where to get anything other than the crappy parts store split loom stuff that melts super easy.
I bought 25ft rolls of the stuff in Standard brand from Oreilly when I worked there. It is not great for high heat though. I bought 10 ft rolls of the DEI style hook and loop sleeve material. Also bought high heat fiberglass aluminim backed duct tape. This came off the 97 where the wiring was routed next the passenger side of the transmission, a foot away from the exhaust. Stupid setup from GM.

This is what I replaced it with. The stuff is like $2 a foot and very well made. It came with the stainless zip ties as well.