Issues seating the Torque Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

landygrundy

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. I have a '97 with a 350/4l60e. One day lost all gears. Figured it was the pump, pulled it out, sure enough the pump ate itself. Seemed clean enough to throw in a new pump and see what happens. I bought a 298mm pump stated for a 95-03 4l60e, it installed fine, everything lined up and seemed ok. Went to put it back in (with the same torque converter then came out with it). The TC binds badly against the flexplate.

I of course took it back out, reseated the TC... I needed up trying this a few different times. I've stood the trans on end, and put the TC in as well, I'm nearly certain its seating properly (3 drops) and engaging the pump. It seems to be where the TC bottoms out on the pump is further out then the old one? Is that a thing? Does anybody know the proper TC set-back depth? I was dumb and threw the old pump out so I don't have that has a refernce.

This is the pump I bought. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086GWRYK2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pump rotor may have been installed upside down.
Measure distance from the TC side of the flexplate to the back of the block then measure the distance from the lugs on the TC to the face of the bellhousing making sure the TC is seated in the pump. That distance should be about an 1/8" more than the block to flexplate measurement.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. I have a '97 with a 350/4l60e. One day lost all gears. Figured it was the pump, pulled it out, sure enough the pump ate itself. Seemed clean enough to throw in a new pump and see what happens. I bought a 298mm pump stated for a 95-03 4l60e, it installed fine, everything lined up and seemed ok. Went to put it back in (with the same torque converter then came out with it). The TC binds badly against the flexplate.

I of course took it back out, reseated the TC... I needed up trying this a few different times. I've stood the trans on end, and put the TC in as well, I'm nearly certain its seating properly (3 drops) and engaging the pump. It seems to be where the TC bottoms out on the pump is further out then the old one? Is that a thing? Does anybody know the proper TC set-back depth? I was dumb and threw the old pump out so I don't have that has a refernce.

This is the pump I bought.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Put the torque converter on the bench then install the pump by itself into the converter - be careful as it can appear to be stuck then fall onto the converter as the rotor lugs line up with the cut-outs in the converter hub...If you're able to fully seat it and it spins freely (nice and smooth) without binding or seizing then it wasn't fully installed when you attempted to re-stab it.