Is Sanden swap worth it? 88 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OLD BLUE 88

Reaction score
I'm the original owner of this truck. It's not a show piece, but my go to for runs to the dump, etc. Over the decades, the most replaced part has been the R4 compressor. Could be the techs that did the install used lesser quality remans or off brand new units. The last one was supposed to be a quality compressor, it lasted 2 years. I plan on doing this job myself and hope not to do it again. I'm an old man. What'aya think?

Cheers!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been said the R4 is susceptible to leaks.

The R4 may have worked well in the R12 era of lower "high-side" pressures, but R134a operates with notably higher pressures.

I believe the old '88 AC systems may not have a high-pressure cut-out switch on them. If so, and unless you've added one (as some some others have), your high-side pressures may become excessive. @PlayingWithTBI might comment.

So, IMHO:

- check for the presence of a high-pressure cut-out switch and, if missing, install one

- consider the Sanden as an upgrade

- some on GMT400 have installed the third-party "scroll" compressor that's ensconced in an R4-sized housing; it's an easy swap with some favorable results reported. I believe these can still be found on RockAuto at a reasonable price.

- managing the high-side pressures is important regardless of compressor. The old tube-and-fin condensers from the R12 era aren't optimal for R134a; it's an upgrade path to consider.

- improving the airflow through the condenser will help manage high-side pressures. Much has been discussed on GMT400 on this topic; see posts in various threads by @L31MaxExpress.

Last edited: