IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the rules? Two entries per day? Delivery occurs following build completion?

Your build reminds me of an old friend's builds (his instagram is here). Keep up the good work Alteca.
His work makes mine look mild, that’s some wicked stuff.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
His work makes mine look mild, that’s some wicked stuff.
He's been chipping away at it for quite a while. His ratrod started around 2008-2009 IIRC. The 350Z was several years and a previous model he parted ways with. It all started in their open bay farm shop with free reign of the tools and retired trucks.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we'll need to get measurements from a few trucks with fresh suspensions just to ensure against anomalies. Since we're comparing to Alteca's truck I think we need to get measurements from similar trucks. I went back through the first twelve pages of this thread, and I can't find what year this truck is, but I can see it has the later dash. I think we need measurements from three '96-97 C1500s with fresh, tight suspensions.

I'll be mildly pessimistic and take 54*.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that’s a good idea. I was eager to help but didn’t think about my ‘92. The suspension is wore out. It could be a pretty bad representation of a stock C1500.

‘95
It’s likely still close enough for my sake since this is purely for comparison. Although like Erik said, multiple sources would be great.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trying - and failing - to figure out if different wheel offsets will affect measurement...

The aftermarket wheels (with 265/65-17 tyres) on mine cause it to rub on the anti-roll bar at full lock which leads me to thinking that as standard there can't be a huge amount of clearance there. Can how far shy of contacting the ARB yours is be used as an ad-hoc measurement of how much lock you've lost?

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying - and failing - to figure out if different wheel offsets will affect measurement...

The aftermarket wheels (with 265/65-17 tyres) on mine cause it to rub on the anti-roll bar at full lock which leads me to thinking that as standard there can't be a huge amount of clearance there. Can how far shy of contacting the ARB yours is be used as an ad-hoc measurement of how much lock you've lost?
For most trucks I think there are to many variables for this to be an effective comparison between trucks but could be a simple comparison on a single truck if you change anything. My truck has a c7 z06 sway bar so I couldn’t compare it to anyone else’s.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking at these knuckles and there is plenty of meat on them to redrill the tie rod hole about an inch further back. This would give me the angle/ratio I want BUT at the expense of slight anti Ackerman. Is it worth it? I will leave it as is for now so I can drive it for a bit and decide later.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ackerman matters more than people realize.

Our Air Force-issued bobtail trucks for towing flightline equipment had a severely shortened wheelbase that would probably equate to about an inch change in the tie rod hole for Ackerman. They destroyed tires. Granted, we did a lot of tight steering on an etched concrete aircraft ramp that was significantly more grippy than asphalt, but the tires weren't even lasting a thousand miles with <30 mph driving speeds.