Ignition timing repair sounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RACLMS70

Reaction score
I'm an 89 Chevy 1500 I'm having trouble with the engine timing I set timing is 0 with the wire disconnected reconnect wire . Start truck up I was really low missing running rough yeah so I try to drive it and it Knox horribly bad. Get back to my shop reach check the timing it correct at 0°check online see everybody else has the same problem that I'm having turned out yes. Ignition module so I replaced the whole distributor. Start your truck up with a new distributor idels better let's check warm up set timing 0° with wiring hook reconnect reconnect wire drive it and it's still knocks bad. So my buddy comes over we power time the truck. Take it for a drive it runs okay not just a little bit but it's okay it's better. Trucks at 8, 800miles on it I was hoping somebody else was having the same issues that I'm having can help me out

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm an 89 Chevy 1500 I'm having trouble with the engine timing I set timing is 0 with the wire disconnected reconnect wire . Start truck up I was really low missing running rough yeah so I try to drive it and it Knox horribly bad. Get back to my shop reach check the timing it correct at 0°check online see everybody else has the same problem that I'm having turned out yes. Ignition module so I replaced the whole distributor. Start your truck up with a new distributor idels better let's check warm up set timing 0° with wiring hook reconnect reconnect wire drive it and it's still knocks bad. So my buddy comes over we power time the truck. Take it for a drive it runs okay not just a little bit but it's okay it's better. Trucks at 8, 800miles on it I was hoping somebody else was having the same issues that I'm having can help me out
Did you make sure your timing mark is still at TDC?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe AI robot from Microsoft North ( Washington).

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Greetings RACLMS70,

Welcome to the GMT400 forum.

A little back story on your issue may give us an important clue. Here's a few questions I had while reading your brief:

* What prompted you to initially check/adjust the spark timing? Was there any knocking sound before you adjusted the timing?
* Was the engine running poorly and you are just trying to do the right thing?
* Has this engine ever run correctly for you in the past? If so, did anything significant happen between the last time it ran well vs. now?
* Or did you purchase the truck in this condition for the right price and you are trying to revive it?
* Is your computer throwing any codes? Is the SES light on? If it is, have you attempted to retrieve those codes by jumpering
Pin A to Pin B in the ALDL while the Key is ON but the Engine is Off?

Here's one possible theory. Your engine is mechanically OK, but as part of a tuneup you reset the
timing to factory specification, and now it is audibly knocking. (Assuming this knocking is not constant
due to a mechanical issue, but only when you step on the gas and the timing advance kicks in.)

My next step would be to determine if the Knock Sensor is connected and working correctly. There
may be enough carbon buildup in your engine that it won't run quietly on 87 octane. And the PO
just retarded the timing until the noise went away.

A quick check to determine if this might be a valid theory would be to let the gas tank get close to
empty, and refill with a few dollars worth of 93 octane. If by doing this the problem is lessened/eliminated,
then we now know that the knocking is timing related, and we need to figure out why your knock sensor isn't
responding and signalling your computer to retard the ignition timing as necessary in order to protect your
engine from destructive detonation.

If you could respond with answers to the questions above this would help us help you.

Best of luck sorting this out. Hopefully it's something straightforward.

Last edited: