I think somebody welded the o2 sensor. What do I do? 1995 c2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three options:
1. It's not welded in place, but the rust makes it look that way. Get in there with whatever wrenches, sockets, implements of destruction you need, get angry, and twist it out. I have had to remove exhaust pipes so they can be mounted in a bigass vice for adequate access to semi-seized O2 sensors. A 6-point, deepwell impact socket makes an excellent O2 sensor removal tool...if there's any hex left on the sensor body.

2. It's either welded or totally seized. Get in there with a cutting torch/plasma cutter/die grinder and cutoff wheel, and surgically remove the thing. Weld in a patch over the hole, and weld-in a threaded bung for the next O2 sensor to screw into. O2 sensor remains in the same relative position.

3. Leave it the hell alone. Poke a hole in the pipe somewhere nearby, weld in a bung, and put the new O2 sensor into the new bung, using anti-seize. Make sure the O2 sensor is somewhere on the upper half-circle of the tube, not the lower half-circle. O2 sensor moves position, AND you've got two sensor ends close together hanging out into the exhaust stream creating restriction.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t get it out.
If none of @Schurkey's suggestions appeal to you - Remove the whole pipe (cut the sensor off if it interferes with access to bolts/nuts), go to the junk yard for a replacement and install a new O2 sensor in the replacement pipe, bolt it all back up and be done. Use plenty of antisieze on all threads...

Sam454

Reaction score
If none of @Schurkey's suggestions appeal to you - Remove the whole pipe (cut the sensor off if it interferes with access to bolts/nuts), go to the junk yard for a replacement and install a new O2 sensor in the replacement pipe, bolt it all back up and be done. Use plenty of antisieze on all threads...
How delicate are o2 sensors? I dropped it onto my wood floor

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey @Sam454 .
I swore mine was welded in as well, but it wasn't.
Mine took soaking in penetrating oil for a few days, heated the crap out of the bung with a MAP gas torch. As my wire was extended already due to it having to go down in the header, I snipped the wire and slid the box end of the wrench over. And then a BUNCH of smacks with a 8lb sledge to get it to move.
Don't bother trying the open end of a wrench, it just spreads and pops off.
So don't be afraid to go a bit neanderthal on it.