Howdy, machinist by trade, jack at mechanics.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big bird

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aerospace machinist, have made everything from chicken house floor scrapers to parts on the space station. CNC programmer, manufacturing consultant, about to just build my own shop and be done with the rat race.

We're moving from the deep south to Pennsylvania. Have bought a 1920's farmhouse with 9 acres left. Has 1.5 acres separated and industrial zoned and powered. Will build my shop there. Deer are thick as flies, apple trees, blueberries and a small vineyard. It's our heaven.

Bought a '98 Chevy 3500 box truck that is giving some trouble. She's being used to move us, and then for shop and home. Son and I are making the trips, currently in Elizabethtown, KY with a breakdown.

Daily driver is a '98 Ranger v6 extended cab.

I've owned 5 vehicles, '65 Chevy fleetside pickup I6, '97 Ranger I4 (sold due to brakes, AC, and dating after divorce), 2011 Chevy Malibu I4 (lost in a flash flood), '98 Ranger, '98 Chevy box truck we call Big Bird.

I have Starrett measuring tools and a Kennedy toolbox bought with my own money as the unions were killed. Have a pre-1944 Atlas Craftsman lathe and milling attachment that is my favorite toy.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a busy time ahead of you!!
Followed along on your breakdown, glad it made the trip.
These trucks are like kids, love them, but they certainly try your patience at time!!! Lol
Can't wait to follow along with your journey of not only the truck, but also getting your new shop up and running.

Oh....and welcome from Alberta Canada

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Aerospace machinist, have made everything from chicken house floor scrapers to parts on the space station. CNC programmer, manufacturing consultant, about to just build my own shop and be done with the rat race.

We're moving from the deep south to Pennsylvania. Have bought a 1920's farmhouse with 9 acres left. Has 1.5 acres separated and industrial zoned and powered. Will build my shop there. Deer are thick as flies, apple trees, blueberries and a small vineyard. It's our heaven.

Bought a '98 Chevy 3500 box truck that is giving some trouble. She's being used to move us, and then for shop and home. Son and I are making the trips, currently in Elizabethtown, KY with a breakdown.

Daily driver is a '98 Ranger v6 extended cab.

I've owned 5 vehicles, '65 Chevy fleetside pickup I6, '97 Ranger I4 (sold due to brakes, AC, and dating after divorce), 2011 Chevy Malibu I4 (lost in a flash flood), '98 Ranger, '98 Chevy box truck we call Big Bird.

I have Starrett measuring tools and a Kennedy toolbox bought with my own money as the unions were killed. Have a pre-1944 Atlas Craftsman lathe and milling attachment that is my favorite toy.
Wow, it'd be cool to see pics of some of the tools you mentioned. Most folks don't see things like that.... welcome to the forum! And I second the opinion that trucks are like kids; always something to do with them. I had plans for tomorrow, and the 3rd and 4th since I will be off both days. And my crew cab decided to give me something else to look at in the morning....

big bird

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a busy time ahead of you!!
Followed along on your breakdown, glad it made the trip.
We're broke down again, away from home, will be working on it tomorrow morning. It's an old truck, **** happens, and I don't know her well, yet.

It's an incredibly stressful time, even though good things are happening. One phase involves my girl pulling a small utility trailer behind a 2016 Kia Soul while I pull a one horse trailer with my Ranger. Pet pigs and the big dog in the horse trailer. Have added trailer brakes and hitch to Ranger, hitch to Kia. Redone hubs, brakes, electronics, etc, on all of it.

big bird

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, it'd be cool to see pics of some of the tools you mentioned. Most folks don't see things like that.... welcome to the forum! And I second the opinion that trucks are like kids; always something to do with them. I had plans for tomorrow, and the 3rd and 4th since I will be off both days. And my crew cab decided to give me something else to look at in the morning....
I love my machines/tools. It takes me a while to learn my more complicated machines. I rarely give up on a machine. Big Bird is really messing with me right now, but when she performs, I pat her dash. Dash has a lot of duct tape to keep it together.

It'll be a while before I make time to shoot tooling pics.

My new garage has a groundhog living in it, has filled a 1/4 of the back garage shop area with dirt and heaved bricks everywhere.

The site where my real shop will go needs a bobcat and chainsaw, at minimum.

I'm in a big marathon with amazing things on the other side.