How to tighten body mount on 1989 Chevy k1500 with welded nuts broken.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeviJones

Reaction score
Hey everyone my name is levi, I am having a really hard time with my 89 Chevy. It’s just one thing after another. I discovered that my cab mount bolts are loose and when I tried to tighten them I noticed that the nut on the top was spinning. Do you have any suggestions on how I can at least get them tight? I don’t care how red neck it is or if I have to cut a few things I really don’t care I just need to get it back on the road. Thanks in advance everybody I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_6207.jpeg
    IMG_6207.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 4

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Welcome,

Assuming the rubber mounts themselves are in bad shape for the weld nuts to have broken loose, so it's probably time to look into new cab mounts and hardware.

There are covers under the carpet you can remove to access the cavities where the weld nuts are. You'll need to remove the seam sealer around them first, then it's a good idea to apply some new sealer when you put the covers back on.

It's been a while but they might be square nuts, so you may find you need to improvise some method of grabbing onto them.

Richard

LeviJones

Reaction score
Welcome,

Assuming the rubber mounts themselves are in bad shape for the weld nuts to have broken loose, so it's probably time to look into new cab mounts and hardware.

There are covers under the carpet you can remove to access the cavities where the weld nuts are. You'll need to remove the seam sealer around them first, then it's a good idea to apply some new sealer when you put the covers back on.

It's been a while but they might be square nuts, so you may find you need to improvise some method of grabbing onto them.

Richard
Thank you very much Richard I really appreciate it.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few pics and GM procedure for installing/replacing just in case you end up replacing the mounts.

GM - CAB MOUNT REPLACEMENT

When changing cab mounts, it is important to properly support the frame while changing the mount. If only one mount is to be changed, the entire side on which the mount is placed must be lowered enough to provide clearance for the mount.

Remove:

Place jack stands under the body on the side of the vehicle where the mounts will be replaced.

• Raise the vehicle slightly on the hoist.

• Loosen mounting bolts on that side.

1. Bolt (61).

2. Retainer (60).

3. Lower cushion (59).

• Lower the hoist enough to Leave the body supported by the jacks.

4. Upper cushion (58).

Install:

Install or Connect

1. Upper cushion (58).

• Raise the frame slightly on the hoist.

2. Lower cushion (59).

3. Retainer (60).

4. Bolt (61).

• Remove the jacks.

Tighten

• Bolt to 75 N m (55 ft. lbs.).

• Lower the hoist

Attachments

• Rear Cab Mount Cover..jpg
    Rear Cab Mount Cover..jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Cab Mounts.JPG