How to tell if AC system is still r12 ? 93’ Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fixed up 2-3 issues on this 93’ purchase only things left are cosmetics and AC . Seems to not work but have no clue what I’m looking at being a 93’
I don’t know if it’s been swapped to 134 or still r12 if it even was r 12 in 1993’

I know they peeled the wires on the high side pressure switch to jump it at some point so it must have or had issues but a good start would be knowing what it has for refrigerant and what I need to convert to 134a

If the ac pump is good can the system be extracted with the retro fittings added to do the swap or when switching from r12 to 134 do all components lines etc ..need to be new
You must be registered for see images attach

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mixing two incompatible oils does not allow the compressor to get proper lubrication, causing it to fail. Pull the orifce tube out and it will be covered in a layer of black sludge. Seen it many times.
If I want to do this correct with no chance of failures not knowing what’s what in this truck ,

should I need to just buy all new components

compressor, condenser, evaporator, receiver-dryer, and an expansion tube
Can I get away with keeping anything if there wasn’t a correct flush done prior to the 134 swap

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I want to do this correct with no chance of failures not knowing what’s what in this truck ,

Can I get away with keeping anything if there wasn’t a correct flush done prior to the 134 swap
The orifice tube condition will tell you alot.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would recommend everything but evaporator, but flush the evaporator