How to support the engine with the trans & oil pan off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solaralexx

Reaction score
1997 Tahoe 4WD

I am in the process of removing the transmission to replace the leaky rear main in my driveway. While I am there, I want to do the retainer gasket above, which involves removing the oil pan, etc. Therefore I need to support the engine to stop it from swinging backwards.

I was going to use an engine support beam, like this:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
. However, I realized two problems:
1. the beam is too short to reach both fenders. In the video, it is resting on the PCM (I think theirs is broken anyway so it doesn't matter). Seems like longer ones are not available or much more $
2. I thought about unbolting the PCM and shifting it out of the way to rest it on the wheel arch below, but even then the beam is just about in line with the motor mounts, I think it needs to go further back towards the cabin to support the engine with the trans attached, etc. (before that gets unbolted). Seems unstable otherwise.

My plan is to bolt some 2x4s together and put them across the back of the engine bay, then put ratcheting straps around each exhaust manifold near the back. Just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem and has other ideas for this?

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah thats what I would do... one 2x4 can hold the weight because you aren't really holding the entire weight of the engine, but 2 screwed together is better. A ratchet strap to one manifold would be fine, or re-install one of the top bell housing bolts.

P.S... got a bit nostalgic about your truck, looks like the '96 i had

Attachments

• IMG_3675.jpeg
    IMG_3675.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 6

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One nice thing about having tri-y headers in a compact engine bay. On my Express the engine rotates down about an inch and the headers contact the crossmember holding it in place. I have also used a 4x4 block between the crossmember and engine oil pan on a few vehicles as well.