Guidon topper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

Scored a topper for the dually, to turn into a mini camper or whatever, but the front slider is missing a panel. I could fix the slider I imagine, but its in pretty rough shape.

I cant find much info on Guidon toppers, does anyone know what happened to them, or what company bought them out? I'm thinking about just trying to find a whole slider replacement, but not sure what model they used it from. Almost looks like it may be squarebody, though mine is 80 miles away. Maybe if someone has one around for some measurements. Or possibly just know what was used.

Need to find a replacement, or replacements for the rear entry door hinges, but also having a hard time sourcing those. It works, but someone just fabbed in a generic hinge at one point, would like to make that a little nicer.

Also, has anyone ever ran the accordion style boot to connect a topper to a cab on an OBS? I'm not sure I want to cut out my rear window, but its not a slider, and technically it has some weld splatter damage when someone in the past decided to weld on their flatbed when the truck had one. I think I would need to enlarge the window opening in the topper to make it match the OBS. I dunno, just running through some ideas. Trying to heat or cool the truck wouldnt be as nice if they were connected, but I kind of like being able to access the cab from the back.

Suppose I should call Continental fiberglass in Wichita, since they sold it years ago, but theyre probably going to have no clue.

You must be registered for see images attach

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well isn't that fancy! Lol
Definitely a cool door setup.
I'm sure any competent auto glass place would be able to cut you a replacement panel.
Or grab a sheet of acrylic or plexiglass and cut one yourself.
I would honestly be nervous having to canopy open to to the cab, just another entryway for lowlifes.
But the idea of a camper setup is awesome. Something I'd like to do to my Megacab.
Keep updating as you go on with the project.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'm sure any competent auto glass place would be able to cut you a replacement panel.
Or grab a sheet of acrylic or plexiglass and cut one yourself.
I would honestly be nervous having to canopy open to to the cab, just another entryway for lowlifes.
But the idea of a camper setup is awesome. Something I'd like to do to my Megacab.
Keep updating as you go on with the project.
I would be a bit nervous too, having an easy way into the cab. I've seen how easy it is to break into a truck with a sliding rear window (on the F one sh!tty we used to have). So I don't want one on Rawhide. I do want a shell of on him eventually, but I'll have to get a regular tailgate to go with it....
The back door on your camper shell should have a lock on it?

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
lol, I didn't figure I would actually be able to find one of these still left around with the back door like that, but it appeared on FB marketplace the other day. Only $40. Jumped right on it, but was a 4 hour round trip.
The back door on your camper shell should have a lock on it?
There is a lock, but no key yet.

Thanks for the input ya'll. Definitely things to keep in mind. I never thought I'd see the day I actually wanted to put a topper on something.

As far as the security side of things, there is a little less to worry about out here in the middle of BFE, than compared to a city, but things do disappear. Technically I cant lock the truck at the moment as it is, due to not having keys for those doors also. Have another set in better shape I was going to swap on, when I can afford the good hinge bushings. The other doors match the column.

While he is still around, I have ol doggo who doesnt let anyone near our truck. I'm trying to get things a little more wrapped up so we can take a trip later this year. Story behind all of that, but I wont write ya'll a book.

One benefit of the accordion seal, is I would be able to enter the cab from the rear, without having to get out. Plan to do a lot of traveling, and that would be a plus, if I ever found myself in any sketchy situations. Though I avoid big cities, and anywhere with people really.

Dunno if I will be able to afford to deck out the inside like I want to just yet, but at least it will beat trying to find somewhere for a tent, or have somewhere to rest if I find myself a little too tired to be driving.

Had a friend help me lift it on today. Still needs some adjustments and work. Really I need to pull the side glass and re-seal them too. Random, but I think the ol truck is going to get rolled on Monstaliner. That's a lot of truck to prep, mask, spray, and the amount of time and room to do it all.

This multicolored thing, lol.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll. Appreciate it.

I wish it was a couple inches taller, as I wouldn't be as close on the tires, but yeah it does help with security, lol.

Guess I am going to cut the back glass out, hopefully no breakage. I took out the slider while I was making the rear latch plates. Kinda made things cleaner without all the bars and stuff in the glass. That's one thing about toppers I don't like, they kind of feel like a closed in box. Think this will open things up, and then I would have more air flow with the windows down if I wanted.

Need to foam board, and plywood the bed like a cooler, though probably just get some boards across in the pockets, a sheet of plywood, and a mattress for now, tight budget and all. Have already kind of went beyond original plans.

Its pretty close, but I will have to trim the topper some, possibly a little fiberglass work, and build lower plates for the rear corners on the cab. Those bends are too sharp.

Not sure if I'll get to it, but I sourced an old metal bed toolbox for the steel already. Thinking about cutting out the wheel wells eventually. They're not really serving a purpose, and would open up some room. One other good thing about the body lift, I was able to route the exhaust over the rear frame crossmember, and then over and down the sides of the frame. Tucks it up clean so its not hanging down in the way if I drop off ledges, etc.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Cut the sides of the opening to match, used that to fill in the top corners, it had a weird M shape. Now matches the curve better. Literally just cut, trimmed, super glued butt jointed them in, V'd out the seam, and bonded in with some JB Kwik. Not proud, but I didn't feel like the itch, and also not lifting that thing off again anytime soon, if I can help it.

Especially since I found a local junky topper with the rear door, that I had to haul home also. Almost wanted to save it cause for squarebody, but I needed hinges. $30 of stainless hardware, in a $40 dollar topper. And a not very cheap accordion seal.

That third brake light indention kind of sucks. Think I'm going to remove mine anyhow, going to be useless, and just a water leak.

Have the template for the lower cab corners made, just have to find some decent metal to cut the filler panels out of.

Attachments

• 20240630_200501.jpg
    20240630_200501.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240630_195815.jpg
    20240630_195815.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 4