How to: factory auxiliary trans cooler upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally finished this install. This really makes a difference in temperature. I saw a 30-40F drop in temperature overall. Yesterday I drove around from store to store for a few hours in the heat of the day and my gauge never said I reached the manual's operating temperature of 180-200F. It was over 95F ambient outside.
Apparently, you're over-cooling the fluid.

The permatex high temp thread sealant I picked up says 4hr cure time with a 72hr full cure
Loctite/Permatex 592? No worries. It'll be fine.

Is never getting up to the manuals operating temperature a bad thing? Can I get a good hot fluid level reading if it gets close to 180 but doesn't really get there?
170+ is probably acceptable, depending on how long it takes to get there. I'd like to see 190-ish, and fairly quickly...which is why I'd plumb it through the radiator AFTER it goes through the aux. cooler.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally finished this install. This really makes a difference in temperature. I saw a 30-40F drop in temperature overall. Yesterday I drove around from store to store for a few hours in the heat of the day and my gauge never said I reached the manual's operating temperature of 180-200F. It was over 95F ambient outside.

Fitment is great. Fairly easy install. The permatex high temp thread sealant I picked up says 4hr cure time with a 72hr full cure, just a heads up.

Is never getting up to the manuals operating temperature a bad thing? Can I get a good hot fluid level reading if it gets close to 180 but doesn't really get there?
My 4L85E ran ~120-130F for hours on the highway in 30-40F weather on a 2,200 mile road trip. Factory cooling setup at the time.