HELP!!! Limp mode 3rd gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LEVI_FL

Reaction score
I just bought a beautiful 98 Ext cab 2 wheel drive with the 4l60e. Issue i am having is it will go from 1st to 2nd no problem, then as soon as it shifts into 3rd gear goes to limp mode. Stays in 3rd gear is what it feels like, able to still drive the truck but not over 30 to 35mph. Any pointers as to what I need to test or do is appreciated. Thank you .

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a beautiful 98 Ext cab 2 wheel drive with the 4l60e. Issue i am having is it will go from 1st to 2nd no problem, then as soon as it shifts into 3rd gear goes to limp mode. Stays in 3rd gear is what it feels like, able to still drive the truck but not over 30 to 35mph. Any pointers as to what I need to test or do is appreciated. Thank you .
Check the trans fuse then start testing the wiring harness leading to the trans from the pcm via the case connector pins. Then check the trans wiring harness itself. Scan the pcm for transmission related codes.

LEVI_FL

Reaction score
Check the trans fuse then start testing the wiring harness leading to the trans from the pcm via the case connector pins. Then check the trans wiring harness itself. Scan the pcm for transmission related codes.
Thank you, I'll test all of it as soon I can get truck home. All the wiring except ground will come back as 12 volts right?