Help! Bumper help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhawkins556

Reaction score
Alright guys, I wrecked my truck a few years back, it is time she lives again. I got married and had a kid, and now its time to get my truck back. So here we go.... according to the VIN the truck is a 1994 GMC, before I got the truck someone swapped to a 1998 GMC front ( I thought they were the same) after I wrecked my truck someone donated a chevy bumper and grille, I purchased the 2 passenger side bumper brackets, via the VIN and it looks as though the passenger (replaced) inner bumper bracket is longer than the driver (existing) bracket, which means the bumper will not line up. The part number I purchased and installed is 1568-6150. Any ideas?

-Daniel

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't help the issue with your part number because I'm not aware of what part numbers are which. I can tell you though that the 1994 and up Grill, filler and brackets are all the same.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Someone may have misinformed you about what parts were used previously, or there's a mix-and-match set of parts on your truck. 1994-up are the same as mentioned before, but it may be something like it had the base model style grille and got changed over to the up-level grille.

10th digit of VIN 'R' = 1994 just so you can be sure as it sounds like there may be some confusion about what year your truck is.

The longer inside bumper bracket is indeed for the 1994-up grille (the 'outrigger' style brackets that go to the corners didn't change) but if you were previously running the shorter brackets before the damage happened, you likely don't have all 1994-up parts up front. I've seen several different versions of combos including a 1994-up grille with screws punched through it into a 1993-older filler strip so that they could continue to use all the old parts but the newer grille.

Pics of what you've got would be helpful.

Richard

dhawkins556

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The short one is on the driver side and the long one is on the passenger side. My truck is a 1994, it was originally a v6 base model with auto trans, which is not the case now :)
I work for the largest auto dealer in Louisiana, so I had my parts warehouse guys look up my vin number and sell me that bracket. I had him recheck today and the GM catalog shows the brackets are the same part number from 94 up.

someotherguy

Reaction score
Not without pictures of the grille filler strip and grille...since those items are still in question.

Richard

dhawkins556

Reaction score
I guess my bigger question right now is bumper fit. The grille is a Chevy grille. But that shouldn't effect the bumper brackets, unless I am wrong. I will get some more pictures when I get back to work. Thank you for the help.

someotherguy

Reaction score
I guess my bigger question right now is bumper fit. The grille is a Chevy grille. But that shouldn't effect the bumper brackets, unless I am wrong. I will get some more pictures when I get back to work. Thank you for the help.

Correct, but if you re-read my original reply, it matters entirely which grille and filler strip you have since we're not clear on the year yet. You said it's a '94 truck with '98 front end, neither of these would use the shorter bracket that you already had. So something's not right, and pictures will tell the story.

Richard