heater core question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
hi. i have a quick question regarding my dad's 1998 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 with an nv3500 5 speed manual. it comes with two airbags in the dash. my dad and i have never attempted to remove it, so here's my question. how difficult is it to access the heater core? :hmm:

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Except for the screw crammed up there between the firewall pad and the unit, and IF you're unlucky enough that you have to fight the cover down (and back up) - it's one of those jobs that goes by in about an hour and leaves you thinking, "Wow that wasn't so bad" or it takes all day and has you ready to blow the truck up. :gr_grin:

Richard

Reaction score
thanks for all your help. my dad and i will try it out soon. hopefully we'll have it out within the hour.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The Haynes manual says that a heater core replacement in these trucks takes 4 hours. I've done the job more than once in about an hour.
Like Richard said, there's a screw (or 2) by the trans hump that holds that cover on which are a pitA to remove. I don't bother to replace them.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like Richard said, there's a screw (or 2) by the trans hump that holds that cover on which are a pitA to remove. I don't bother to replace them.
Without that one screw I changed out the one in my dually in 24 minutes. It surprised me how quick it was.