Harness Swap Gone Wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Low Country

Reaction score
Long Story short, I wrecked my truck almost a year ago and have been restoring it on my free time since. I bought a parts truck from a guy for 1k and began tearing it down and moving parts over. Today, after for the most part buttoning up the new wiring and putting in a new battery i turned the key andd.... nothing. Not even the fuel pump primed. Going back to the motor from the parts truck i realized that it was a 350 and not a 305 like the po had told me. From everything I've seen the wiring should be the same. My truck is a '90 tbi 305 single cab longbed, the parts truck is a '89 tbi 350 single cab short bed. Both wt trims. The only things I did to the harness before install was: Lengthen the taillight harness to fit, run a ground wire to my battery from the fuel pump since the po of my truck had the wrong fuel pump in it, and cut and splice in my old ignition wire to my starter since the ring on the new harness was sheared off. I believe i've covered all the bases. There is also a wire i cannot for the life of me find the connector too. There's two of them, one with a blue wire (found connector) and this one with a white wire.
You must be registered for see images attach

Low Country

Reaction score
I believe those are for the knock sensors
where is the second one? i found where one of them went but that sensor needs to be replaced, its the one down by the starter solenoid. I plan on running to the store tomorrow to pick it up

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
There should be two if I remember correctly, both on either side of the block. If I’m wrong someone please correct me

89RCLB

Old Dudes Rule
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That connector looks like it may go to the back of the A/C compressor.

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score

You’re 100% right, it’s been years since I’ve messed with a TBI engine

Low Country

Reaction score
Have you confirmed good engine grounds?
i have, we did figure out my lock cylinder was bad and swapped that out for a new one. now gauges move, fuel pump primes, windshield wipers and headlights work. try to turn it over and... nothing still. so i rekon its a step in the right direction. All we can think of is the wiring with the starter, i checked diagrams but all i see is two wires going to the starter.

Low Country

Reaction score

went outside to check, there is no connector on my ac compressor, maybe the po removed it on my truck? he did chop up a lot of wires..

Attachments

• 20240807_214904.jpg
    20240807_214904.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 4