Harmonic balancer install question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mayvillain

Reaction score
Installing the harmonic balancer on my '92 K1500 5.7L

I am using two long wrenches and have the balancer bottomed out to the best of my ability. However, the balancer still seems too far off the timing chain cover, like it needs to slide on more. Currently I have a 5/8" gap between the balancer and timing chain cover (see pics).

Does anybody know if this is far enough ON?

(Or if you can measure yours, I'd send you a tip for a beer, etc.)

>> If it's not far enough on, how am I supposed push it on farther? I've lubed the inside of the balancer and given it plenty of lbs of yeehaw; worried about getting the tool stuck if I crank it more.

Attachments

• IMG_3455.png
    IMG_3455.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3453.png
    IMG_3453.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am using two long wrenches and have the balancer bottomed out to the best of my ability
That's usually the spot.
However, the balancer still seems too far off the timing chain cover, like it needs to slide on more
I'd say your timing marker does look a bit too far back but, can't remember what the different manufacturers widths are. My Dayco is just about 100% covered by the timing marker but my old Dorman was wider and not.
Does anybody know if this is far enough ON?
if doable, you can just snug your crank pulley on and check with a straight edge against the power steering pulley...4 points all the way across them

Sorry. Can't measure anything at this moment....

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks about right. Instead of measuring off the middle of the cover to the outer ring, look at the back of the balancer where it slides into the front oil seal. I think it's like 1/4-3/8" there. You could compare it to the wear pattern on the old one if you still have it. The bolt will snug it up that last little bit when you torque it if the tool left a small gap.

mayvillain

Reaction score
That's usually the spot.

I'd say your timing marker does look a bit too far back but, can't remember what the different manufacturers widths are. My Dayco is just about 100% covered by the timing marker but my old Dorman was wider and not.

if doable, you can just snug your crank pulley on and check with a straight edge against the power steering pulley...4 points all the way across them

Sorry. Can't measure anything at this moment....
This is a good solution—and it may come to that—but I'm in a middle of top-end rebuild and therefore have nothing on the front of the motor. I will have to reinstall two brackets and several pulleys to get that angle measurement on the serpentine belt.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a good solution—and it may come to that—but I'm in a middle of top-end rebuild and therefore have nothing on the front of the motor. I will have to reinstall two brackets and several pulleys to get that angle measurement on the serpentine belt.
I figured there may be an obstacle. But yeah, usually when it's on as far as you can get it, it's pretty safe to say it is but you'll be checking when everything is reassembled anyway. Which is kinda the conundrum I guess...balancer tool getting stuck is pretty easy to remove using a couple of nuts cranked against each other to get the piece out from my experience.....usually enough thread...

Can't recall what other pulleys line up apart from the power steering but that would be my first check since you'll probably want to use the crank pulley to get an idea of where you are when installing the ps pulley.... But I guess the snout of the ps shaft being flush to the ps pulley is usually where it needs to be in the end so you could always go that way too..

mayvillain

Reaction score
Picture of your damper installation tool?

My '88 K1500
You must be registered for see images attach
Interesting; this appears to be a much different setup. My timing gauge (or whatever the little jagged piece of metal is called) is way more on top of the balancer, almost all the way on top. Thanks for the picture!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 uses a damper and timing indicator that is meant to be seen from above--12:00 or close to it. Gotta stare straight down through a big hole in the horse-collar accessory bracket to see it properly.

Your damper and timing indicator is meant to be seen from above and to the left side. Totally different system.

I still want to see what you're using for a damper installation tool.