Grinding when shifting into reverse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlundblad

Reaction score
What had turned into a noise with the clutch out turned into a rough running engine and constant noise. Come to find out, the battery was bad and was causing it to run very rough. Perhaps the rough running engine was exaggerating loose/ worn linkages and motor mounts and thus causing the noise?

The battery was dead after 4 days of sitting so I stole the Blazer's battery and it runs fine just like before minus the entire reason I posted this thread.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I do not believe the reverse gear on NV3500s is synchronized. The internals may not have enough time to spin down before you shift into reverse, or it may be bad clutch disengagement like road trip was mentioning.

This is the test paraphrased from GM manuals for non-synchronized reverse gear.

1. Start the truck, push the clutch in.
2. While maintaining clutch in, shift to a forward gear
3. Still keeping the clutch in, shift directly to reverse.

Did reverse grind? Yes: Clutch is dragging bad, repair clutch assembly No: Continue

4. With engine running, shift to neutral, release clutch
5. Push clutch in, wait ~ 8 seconds
6. While maintaining clutch in, shift to reverse

Did reverse grind? Yes: Clutch is dragging slightly, adjust/repair clutch No: Clutch is functioning correctly

To note, it is NORMAL for reverse to be hard to engage/grind slightly/clunk if you go straight from neutral to reverse, it takes time for the disc/internals to come to a stop. If you quickly engage reverse from neutral the non-synchronized gears will grind.

The easiest fixes for a grinding but normal reverse:
1. wait for the trans internals to come to a stop with the clutch in before shifting top reverse.
-or-
2. Before shifting to reverse from neutral, bump it into a forward gear to synchronize the transmission, then shift to neutral. Ex. Neutral - Clutch in - 4th - Reverse - Clutch out (This is what I do). Always make sure you come to a complete stop or you will be synchronizing the transmission to a forward speed and exacerbating the problem.