GOT a van!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So got it all back together and seems to be running as good as ever. Actually never was running bad only had a few random misfires, Still does.
Here is what has improved.
LTFT were running between +9 to +13
Now with the new Injectors and Intake gaskets, LTFT are running between +3 to -3 Im positive the intake gaskets were leaking causing the higher fuel trims.
STFT seem to be near + - .50 when idling hot.
It used to spin over for about a second before starting when hot. Now you look at the key and it starts. Find out tomorrow morning how cold starts do.
Next few days as the computer relearns everything will tell though as i only drove it maybe 10 miles after having the battery unhooked for a day and a half.
I don't think the CFI injectors were ever changed or bad but at 280K it was due for new ones i guess.
Here is why im sure the engine is the original 280K engine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on a van engine is a PITA. From front or rear your working in a little hole but i love how easy it is to get to the distributor.
Few random pics

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How much cleaner did you get the intake valley? I had some sludge on my 1500 as well, not near as bad as yours.

Since I was doing a cam the lifters got put in the ultrasonic cleaner as well as the dog bones. The crud got scraped out as well.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not clean the valley at all except for the little bit of anti freeze that got in there. The intake was about as bad as the valley, took some work to get that clean as i got it.
I was looking at like, It has 280K i should just let a sleeping dog lie since next spring it will get a different engine anyway. At least that's the plan now.
I am curious though since the intake was leaking from underneath if the oil consumption will stop?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because i just have a need to mess with stuff, But
I have been thinking aluminum heads, headers, duel exhaust, cam and tune it. It does have 20psi hot oil pressure so i assume the bottom end is in decent shape.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So got it all back together and seems to be running as good as ever. Actually never was running bad only had a few random misfires, Still does.
Here is what has improved.
LTFT were running between +9 to +13
Now with the new Injectors and Intake gaskets, LTFT are running between +3 to -3 Im positive the intake gaskets were leaking causing the higher fuel trims.

Thanks for sharing those great In-Process photos - they are clear enough that folks new to the
old truck hobby can get a good preview of what a Vortec 350 looks like with the intake removed.

Also very cool that you are sharing your fuel trims before/after the gasket renewal + the injector upgrade.
This also made me curious, so I took a closer look at one of your photos. Since the gasketing around the
coolant ports looked good, I zoomed in a bit in order to take a closer look at the witness marks around the
intake ports on your cylinder heads:

The way I read it, cylinders #1 & #3 are a good example of what you hope to see around
all 8 intake ports. Especially along the bottom.

Meanwhile, it looks like the intake gasket along the bottom of intake port #5 was at/near
failure to the lifter valley? And I also wonder if a leak test (with a suitable flammable) at
the top of #6 would have shown positive results?

Anyway, you did the right thing by replacing the intake gaskets while in there to renew the
injectors and the previously mentioned seep.

Glad to hear that your powerplant responded positively to the maintenance you performed.

Keep up the good work -and- random photos. Others will benefit by being able to look
over your shoulder like this before addressing a common failure item. :waytogo:

Last edited:

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What i should have done was remove the heads and had them rebuilt and surfaced as well as the intake surfaced, But it will get parked for the winter in a few more months so i did the minimum for now. It really was running decent but the fuel mileage had dropped and not starting like it should leading me to think the injectors were going bad. and a very small coolant leak at the back o2 head
Turns out i believe the injectors were working fine and the real problem was the intake gaskets not sealing anymore.
You can see in the pic what im thinking.

The Intake had pitting around the ports ( sorry no pics) so i did the JBWeld fix on that. The heads also have pitting around the ports so i used The Right Stuff on the areas with pitting again no pics of that.

Also In the intake runners there was a thin coating of some kinda sticky gooey stuff thicker then honey.
I guess before making any firm decision i need to do a compression check. If that,s good maybe i will not swap out the engine for a rebuilt one and just put a new top end on it.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a compression test today and i found i have super even cylinder compression or my compression gauge is bad.
All cylinders read #150 psi
I put a little oil in a couple cylinders and still got #150 psi
Unsure sure of what the plugs are telling me.
First two pics are the o1 side and second two pics are o2 side just trying to show both sides of the plug.
This is a week after changing to MPFI and new Intake gaskets. Have about 100 miles sense then.
#4 and #6 seem to have more ash? on them