GMT400 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got it detailed this week and $90 later had it fueled up! Seems like it receives more and more compliments as it is starting to become a "classic". Earlier today I was cruising with the windows down and enjoying an Alan Jackson cassette, its the simple things in life.
You must be registered for see images attach
Wow, that sure does shine. You are right, it is the simple things in life.

jackrabbitZ71

Reaction score
Thought I would post my Z71 Tahoe here. No modifications to it other than the KC HiLites in the grille similar to what you've done. Previous owner took great care of it maintenance wise. Has a few dings, dents and scratches here and there. Need to get a full set of corner lights/reflectors and a few other odds and ends. It isn't museum quality but it's my daily driver and weekend warrior, goes on plenty of off road and camping trips.

Attachments

• 20240608_185608.jpg
    20240608_185608.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 9

JohnZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought I would post my Z71 Tahoe here. No modifications to it other than the KC HiLites in the grille similar to what you've done. Previous owner took great care of it maintenance wise. Has a few dings, dents and scratches here and there. Need to get a full set of corner lights/reflectors and a few other odds and ends. It isn't museum quality but it's my daily driver and weekend warrior, goes on plenty of off road and camping trips.
Great pic of it. I love the look of those tires. Whenever I stop daily driving mine, I’ll put a set of all terrains on it. It’s been a trooper lately with this recent heatwave. Temps were 101 today and it never missed a beat, ran all day long.

jackrabbitZ71

Reaction score
Great pic of it. I love the look of those tires. Whenever I stop daily driving mine, I’ll put a set of all terrains on it. It’s been a trooper lately with this recent heatwave. Temps were 101 today and it never missed a beat, ran all day long.
If you want to daily it with some more capable tires, I do recommend the ones I got, Grabber ATXs as they're very quiet on the road and some of the more comfortable "aggressive" ATs you can buy. She needs some work as the vacuum booster just went out yesterday.

JohnZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to daily it with some more capable tires, I do recommend the ones I got, Grabber ATXs as they're very quiet on the road and some of the more comfortable "aggressive" ATs you can buy. She needs some work as the vacuum booster just went out yesterday.
Perfect time to swap to hydroboost! One of the best things I’ve ever done to mine.

JohnZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah I just missed this!! I replaced the stock vacuum booster since I needed the truck as it's my only vehicle. How tough is swapping to hydroboost over replacing the vacuum booster, and what sort of benefits does it give?
The swap isn’t too bad. I was fortunate to find a 2500 suburban with a 350 in the junkyard. I took the booster, master cylinder, power steering pump, hoses, cooler, and the factory vacuum cap that plugs the hole in the intake where the vacuum booster line goes. I think I also grabbed the brake pedal.

There’s a thread somewhere that details the swap. I had the 2500 power steering pump rebuilt and painted, and I bought a new power steering cooler since they were so cheap at the time. ABS and variable steering still work.

Benefit is the huge improvement in braking. Before the pedal would always sink to the floor, it never wanted to stop. Stopping was only a suggestion instead of a command with the old vacuum brakes. I worked on the vacuum brakes for years with no good results.

I also grabbed the calipers off the 2500. It was half a days worth of work installing it all. But again, one of the best upgrades I’ve done to it. Firm brake pedal, and the stopping power is a night and day difference.

Oddly enough some people do not like the springy feel of the hydroboost pedal but I do. I grew up driving diesels with hydroboost so I prefer it.

I would say the worst part is getting underneath the dash tackling the booster bolts and also that hell-fired brake pedal clip that holds the brake switch on.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The swap isn’t too bad. I was fortunate to find a 2500 suburban with a 350 in the junkyard. I took the booster, master cylinder, power steering pump, hoses, cooler, and the factory vacuum cap that plugs the hole in the intake where the vacuum booster line goes. I think I also grabbed the brake pedal.

There’s a thread somewhere that details the swap. I had the 2500 power steering pump rebuilt and painted, and I bought a new power steering cooler since they were so cheap at the time. ABS and variable steering still work.

Benefit is the huge improvement in braking. Before the pedal would always sink to the floor, it never wanted to stop. Stopping was only a suggestion instead of a command with the old vacuum brakes. I worked on the vacuum brakes for years with no good results.

I also grabbed the calipers off the 2500. It was half a days worth of work installing it all. But again, one of the best upgrades I’ve done to it. Firm brake pedal, and the stopping power is a night and day difference.

Oddly enough some people do not like the springy feel of the hydroboost pedal but I do. I grew up driving diesels with hydroboost so I prefer it.

I would say the worst part is getting underneath the dash tackling the booster bolts and also that hell-fired brake pedal clip that holds the brake switch on.
Oh yes that clip is a MF! Had to replace the switch after the second booster replacement (long story I won't get into here) and I wish they'd replaced it at the garage!

jackrabbitZ71

Reaction score

Ok, so I would need everything listed there. Seems pretty straightforward. I'll look into it some more, but most likely this is something I'll do later down the road. As for that retainer clip, I'm already very "acquainted" with it. The trick is to pry and swear at it for 20 minutes, then it'll come off