Front end Rebuild parts advice 2500 93

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daniel17319

Reaction score
I was wondering what the parts recommendations are on this rebuild. I want to redo everything. Should I get shocks struts, does anyone sell a OEM or around OEM parts kit for it. Not sure what all I should replace. We're do you guys recommend for parts and we're to get them. I want to avoid cheap parts. Looking to use this truck

Thanks

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

I always like to get Genuine GM when can. AC Delco 2nd but some of that is suspect. Check at RA for kits. Plus, you did not say, 2wd or 4wd? Engine? Transmission? Regular cab or ext cab?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mevotech for the tie rod ends and ball joints. Get their Supreme or TTX line.

Energy Suspension polyurethane for the suspension bushings. Rubber rides softer, but the poly isn't too jarring for me. Note that you'll have to make your own sleeves for the upper bushings.

Also replace your pitman and idler arm, your rag joint, your shocks, your wheel bearings, and consider replacing your engine mounts while you're in there. Your engine mounts' bolts are only accessible with the suspension out.

From my build thread:
For those of you needing upper sleeves, I used 1/2" schedule 80 pipe and used my press to sleeve it with some random conduit I had in my scrap pile. I then lubed the sleeve and used the press to get the sleeve into the bushing. I have no idea what the specs were on the conduit, but I'd assume it was .040" wall and probably 7/8" inner diameter. The pipe had a .832" outer diameter and cost me about $17 for 10'.

You must be registered for see images attach

98_SLE_98

Reaction score
Lately a lot of the Delco chassis parts have been reboxed Mevotech parts on these trucks among others. The nice thing I like about the Delco Gold/Professional etc is that is has a lifetime warranty and is relatively easy to get parts replaced. However no matter the brand, the key is frequent lubrication.

Like I had said in another post, seems years ago you could grease the front end with every oil change and be fine. These days, atleast in my climate you gotta do it once a month to extend the life out of your front end parts.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the parts recommendations are on this rebuild. I want to redo everything. Should I get shocks struts,
WHAT VEHICLE?

Regardless, no GMT400 has McPherson struts.

Not sure what all I should replace.
Whatever is worn. Do not replace stuff that doesn't need to be replaced--the "new" parts are likely to be worse than "good used" original-equipment items.

Inspect:
Upper ball joints
Lower ball joints
Upper control arm bushings
Lower control arm bushings
Wheel bearings especially 2WD
Both outer tie rod ends
Both inner tie rod ends
Rag joint
Steering gearbox AND the frame rail it attaches to
Pitman arm
Idler arm (both pieces)
Center link
Shock absorbers
Sway bar, bushings, end links

you did not say, 2wd or 4wd? Engine? Transmission? Regular cab or ext cab?
All that, and 6-lug or 8-lug?

Last edited: