Frame rot. Am I screwed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88sclb350

Reaction score
My 88. Obviously these holes aren’t new but I’m started to get worried about them.

I recently got a welder and could probably patch things it if I needed to. The only one I worry about is photo #1 the frame rail there is next to the fuel tank.

This is my daily and I don’t have the money to get a new truck. I know southern guys will say this truck is shot but people who live in the rust belt, does this belong in the scrap yard today or do I have time?
You must be registered for see images attach

PAIRA90S

Reaction score
Looks like my blue truck. Bolted a piece of angle iron ONLY so I could move it around my driveway/yard as I strip it.
NOT ROAD WORTHY. Parked it. Using it as spares for the white one.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah,that frame is post toast. Living in a fishing community I saw a lot of rusted out frames and actually attempted to repair a couple. It's damn near impossible to weld without blowing out more of the frame and usually not enough metal left to bolt to although it's pretty easy to drill paper thin steel.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's done, get in a wreck that thing will fold up on you. Bang on it with a BFH and I bet chunks start falling off. Poke it with an ice pick. It's worse than what you can see. When you have that flaky layered rust there's not much strength left.

Look at your first pic, it looks like cracks are propagating across it. It's already doing the flexi-flyer routine going down the highway.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Come back to see the likes I got. Looked through the pics again. Man, this truck might be one pot hole away from the t-bar crossmember coming undone. It's really an accident looking for a place to happen.