Frame damage or design? 92K1500 Long bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Yeah, not a 1500. Has the HD frame with a much stiffer body over it which is not the same. Upper structure has a lot to do with frame stiffness.
Oh, absolutely a very different frame, much taller and thicker - and the wrecker units are generally on their own framework which bolts directly to the frame, which I suspect adds lots of rigidity.

I wasn't disagreeing with your take on OP's situation, just saying people do some pretty radical stuff with frames and I don't necessarily care for it.. even though it apparently worked. Man, I look at those torch cuts as well and just think.. oof.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, absolutely a very different frame, much taller and thicker - and the wrecker units are generally on their own framework which bolts directly to the frame, which I suspect adds lots of rigidity.

I wasn't disagreeing with your take on OP's situation, just saying people do some pretty radical stuff with frames and I don't necessarily care for it.. even though it apparently worked. Man, I look at those torch cuts as well and just think.. oof.

Richard
Yeah, I can't remember who or when it was posted but frame resonance of 1500's has come up a few times when trying to diagnose minor vibrations. Whether the Dorman piece or making something to bolt in, I'd put something there. Frames are generally designed at least in a minute aspect to flex and why a good part of them are Huck bolted instead of welded through different areas.. So you can do more harm than good deviating in method. I hear ya on mods.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, not a 1500. Has the HD frame with a much stiffer body over it which is not the same. Upper structure has a lot to do with frame stiffness.
I've often wondered about that - how much does a long-roof body contribute to stiffness, what effect the stiffness of the rubber in the mounts has on that and, if anyone has ever replaced the rubber mounts with solid ones on a long-roof?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've often wondered about that - how much does a long-roof body contribute to stiffness, what effect the stiffness of the rubber in the mounts has on that and, if anyone has ever replaced the rubber mounts with solid ones on a long-roof?
I couldn't say by how much, but the full length structure beats a cab/box setup. If not mistaken some burbs have higher tow ratings than pick-ups until you get to 3500's.