Fluid level question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, this is going to be an absolutely silly, stupid questions BUT when checking fluid level truck should be on, idling, and in Neutral/park correct?
Reason I ask is I just did a pan and filter change. When I check the trans level with truck off, I am sitting pretty much at the hot mark. However, when I start the truck the fluid barely even registers on the dip stick.
Transmissions are the bane of my existence and as much as I try and get stuff right while working on them I always mess up and am swallowing my pride this go round to make sure I am doing it correctly. TIA for the help, all friendly jabs are appreciated.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I watched this video and he's saying the full hot level should be 1/4" above the pan mating surface on the valve body side. Not sure if this is true??? Video below.
Of course I have to check and now am confused.

GM lists 2 different dipsticks for my truck but no dimensions.
Best I could find so far is Oreilly's info for the one I don't have..
15687192 - 37" dipstick length 35" dipstick tube length

Then there's the one I have
GM 15969600...
Some random site mentions 35.2" product length...which I guess is correct if you account for flipping the dipstick locking lid all the way extended...It's more like 35.5" on mine...34.5" lid closed....

I couldn't get a mark up quite 1/4" on the dipstick since it sits in the tube coming into the pan but, I got at least level with the pan mating surface. Even with that, I'm off a good ways from my hot marks on the dipstick.....
My factory dipstick stop seems right....although I always get a little bounce up on the dipstick and figured I needed a new one to seal better at the top......

Not sure what to make of all this. If anything, I've always thought I was running around too full ...

Is there a rule of thumb for fluid level in relation to the pan?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Attachments

• transmission fluid level question 1.jpg
    transmission fluid level question 1.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG20240704182530 resized less than quarter inch from pan mating surface.jpg
    IMG20240704182530 resized less than quarter inch from pan mating surface.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 3

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just came across this thread discussing the full level... Doesn't make sense why this is....??..